Another 1993 Pathfinder Emergency brake question (sorry)

MrEviLDeD

I have been looking at that image. I cannot see the details of the end. It kind of looks like it might be threaded. Scaling the image up anymore (and this is the best one I can find) just makes it worse to see the detail. :blush:

rockauto_emergbrakecable_rearleft.png

Hey would it just take one of those flat sheet metal clips on the inside? Precise- I don't know what they're called but C shaped to fit in a slot around the cable housing(top view). Kind of wave in it to hold tension(side view) ? I think thats what the old Dodge/Plymouths used.

Edited by kdj

Here is a composite of the front of the drum with a left and right shot highlighting where the emergency cable comes through the rear-end. I see none of the bolts or the holes you mentioned.

oldpathfinder_rear_drivers_emergencybrak

From this picture I don't really see where a clip would be, but I agree, it seems like something should hold it in. I'm going to do the rear brakes on mine soon as well, but not in time to answer these questions now. I've only had the rear drums off once, to check pad thickness and for leaks. I simply didn't study the set up or mess with it. :shrug:

B

Ok well I was able to get the rusted drivers side off today. Seems it was just not using the correct tool. I used a smaller vice grip on it and was able to finally get it to turn a little. then a little more. Eventually I was able to get a flat edge in there and tap it out little by little... It is in fact NOT threaded and it looks like it uses some kind of stopper that wedges itself in the backing plate as it passes through. I did however break one of the wheel cylinder bolts trying to replace one. Figured since it was all being torn down might as well put new rear breaks and hardware on so new shoes, new hardware and new cylinders..

I will take some pictures tomorrow to give you an idea how I pulled it out so it will make it a little easier when it comes time for you to do your rears Precise.

Thanks for the ideas and helping me brain storm.

Question can I get a replacement bolt from someplace like Canadian Tire, or Partsource? Do I need to get one from the dealer or something for hardware such as this?

When it came right down to it.. There is no point making photos of getting the cable out. Just make sure to get a vice-grip on it tight enough to turn it.. give it a couple turns. and then lightly keep tapping it out. Will need to wiggle a little and pry equally around all sides available. Note there is also a little rubber stopper around the drum-side of the emergency brake cable. It will pull through but you might want to use a small diameter awl in both side and help loosen it a bit.

Pretty straight forward once you get it off.

:aok:

Honestly, I expect mine to come right out, you saw how clean everything is.

As for the bolt, pretty much any hardware store should have what you need, you just have to match up the diameter, thread pitch and length. Might want to consider going with stainless if available and not terribly expensive, the rust crap would drive me nuts.

Might I recommend picking up a pair of calipers and a pitch gauge, I'm sure they would serve you well for a long time.

B

• Like 1

It went rather smooth. However I am or was as of today unable to get the driver-side cable back into the backing plate. In fact while trying the drive slipped and I smashed my hand full force with a rubber mallet, Hair line fracture for sure.... With that said hopefully tomorrow I will get that seated properly and get the u piece back connected to the hand brake handle. All that will be left then is bleeding.

Ok DONE! I still need to adjust the emergency brakes a bit but they are in and the rear lines bled. I wasn't able to get the right-rear cable seated so it wil have to wait until my hand heals and I can get back under there to give it some good taps. Thanks for all the help I appreciate it.