timing belt broke

thorpe991

You always need correct fuel/air mixture, compression and a spark at the right time. If you are missing one or more it won't run. I always start by checking for (1) fuel at the plugs. If that seems good (2) check spark while the plug(s) are out and over course (3) check compression at the same time. After that go to step 4

well i took it to different shop than the first one i took it to and they ran a diagnostics and found that my knock sensor was bad (already knew that) i have good compression and i have spark and fuel i was telling them how it hesitates to start when its anywhere from 10-15 deg but will fire up right away when its above 15 and wont start at all below 10 deg they are thinking when i did the timing belt (did it under a makeshift tent type thing i might have got snow or water in one of the connectors and its freezing and that's all they can think of as if my timing was off it would hesitate no matter the temp or just not start at all so im getting a hair dryer and going threw the connections i unhooked to do the change

WD stands for Water Displacement. An old dunebuggy trick, then the dizzy cap gets wet the engine misfires. Pull over, pop the cap, give it a 1 second shot of WD-40, put the cap back on and drive off. :D

B

cool i always wondered what the wd stands for right now its almost white out so i will be spraying it tomarro if it stops snowing now which ones control spark? obviously the one that hooks to the dizzy and what else or should i just do all the ones i took off? and do i have to wait any amount of time before reconnecting the connections? if no do i have to wait to start it?

Might as well do all the ones you touched before that are relatively easy to get to.

There is no wait time. If this 'cures' the problem, you might want to go back and apply some di-electric grease as well. The WD-40 is more of a troubleshooting/temp fix.

B

even though it stinks terrible iv always been a fan of axe

well i didnt have this problem before i did the belt so not sure if i would have this problem if this fixes it

i like how we go from techie stuff to homemade flamethowers

Edited by thorpe991

even though it stinks terrible iv always been a fan of axe

well i didnt have this problem before i did the belt so not sure if i would have this problem if this fixes it

i like how we go from techie stuff to homemade flamethowers

I guess that's my fault. I'll try not to make anymore posts.

I guess that's my fault. I'll try not to make anymore posts.

your fine haha

Yeah, we get side tracked sometimes. I can delete that part if you wish...

B

its fine haha well this morning i went to start it and it didnt start pulled the plug on the dizzy and sprayed that put it back in and it fired up so i guessing that was it for now im still going to spray the rest just to make sure

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nissan engines have hydraulic lifters ,so if the t/belt breaks the lifters will not have oil pressure thus the valves will not open

and that will not damage the head or pistons , Most of the time unless the RPM is way up there and it will damage the engine than,

not under normal operation rpm.

Please let me know if I am wrong on this quote? Have anyone had a bent valve when the T/Belt broke?

Unfortunately yes the quote is wrong and bending valves is a very real and very common occurrence when the belt breaks.The oil pump is driven off the crank, so as long as that's spinning there will be oil pressure. With no oil pressure the valves still open a slight bit, not fully.