Battery / alternator issues

cvdloc

So let me start by give you the story and signs leading up to now..

6 weeks ago my radio kept turning off when hitting around 3000rpm (between 25-35 it varied) strange issue didn't think much of it at first thinking it could be the voltage regulator. Not sure if its internal or external on a 87 d21 2.4L

Starting 4 days ago, every start cranks less and less and less, until this afternoon coming home from school, barely any crank at all, took a bit but it got going to make it home.

Went out maybe 30 min ago with my volt meter measured 11.2v that's enough to crank over... Nope nothing, just a ting of the starter hitting the fly wheel tried a couple times, tapped my started, nothing.

Tomorrow I'm going to borrow a clamp on dc amp meter to see what I'm getting to the starter cause it sounds like the battery isn't putting out enough amps to spin the motor which means the battery is pootched. I am also going to jump it get it going to measure the output of the alternator to see if indeed I cooked my battery and both need to be replace.

Let me know what you guys think, I ordered an alternator just incase I do need it, should be here Friday $95 from napa.

For choices of batteries I'm leaning towards the optima dry cell (red top) $200 but also been recommended motormaster's dry cell one $150. What do you guys think? Any other recommendations?

Edited by cvdloc

can you check the output terminal of the alternator to see what voltage you are getting? Sounds like the alternator is shot, all the Nissan alternators are internal regulator.

You should have more than 11.2 volts at the battery, that was with everything off right?

If the alternator hasn't been putting out the battery could be shot also.

So I borrowed a dc amp meter didn't realize it only goes up to 30A... Well that's kind of useless for that application lol I can solidly tell you this battery has more than 30A at crank lol

Anyways I priced out some batteries call canadian tire and napa, both dont have a dry cell battery so I called interstate and I'm picking at a few can't really decide, I think ill be going for optima, here is the list

Interstate mt7 agm $299 4year replacement

Optima yellow top $229 3 " "

Optima red top $199 3 " "

I will be running a winch, aslong with external lights in the near future, it is worth it to get the yellow top? The nice phone lady said it holds a charge better but is it nessecary? Would be nice to install an inverter so I can plug in such and such accessories... Ah ill probably cheap out and go for the red top. Any inputs?

I had a red top in my Pathy and my wifes Prelude. They are very nice batteries but, heaven help you if you need to charge one. I now have regular unsealed el'cheapo batteries in both rides now that do what I expect from them (start the dern car)

I looked that up alrighty, It seems like old style charging systems will wreak the dry cell batteries over time. But it seems like most modern chargers are capable with charging these type I found this quote on a forum from a guy who works at optima...

Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. You do not need a special battery charger for our batteries. Normal battery chargers will work just fine, although it's important to clarify that our batteries are lead-acid batteries in a SpiralCell, AGM design. Gel or Gel/AGM charger settings will not fully-charge our batteries and could damage them over time.

We do recommend a maximum charging rate of 10 amps, 13.8-15 volts for regular charging. For float-charging, we recommend a 1 amp maximum rate, 13.2-13.8 volts. If anyone has any other questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine

eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

He did say it would damage over time, but this is good information to know. I don't see an issue with the alternator causing a problem which came to mind. I am not upgrading my alternator just buying a recommended one from napa, don't see the need. Even if I run a winch and some extra lights the alternator will have more than enough to run everything.

I used to run a stereo, satellite system, and a 32" flat panel tv off of mine all day long when we used to tailgate. That red top held up for years. I guess that I would have replaced it with another one if we still had the tailgate setup.

Well I was planning to throw in the alt and battery today but when I woke up this morning it snowed 10cm and was still snowing... Damn forecaster said it was supposed to be mainly sunny... Then trying to get to the stores in my friends sunfire with bald tires, well that was a journey and a half. Needless to say we made it safely. As it was -10 an still snowing lightly I decided against doing it outside and ill wait until I can get a boot to go up to a buds place. Pictures and such ill upload tomorrow.

So when I went to boot my truck, mid way threw I took a look at the battery and it was a bit puffy at the sides so we stopped immidently. I noticed slight hissing sound, so I closed the hood and backed away. Looks like I'm not going anywhere tonight.

I can say I'm a bit worried about removal of this battery, does anyone recommend any safe removal technics? Or do you think it will be safe tomorrow morning?

This is the first time I came across this so that's why I'm asking questions. Heard too many horror stories about batteries exploding rather not be one of them. The hissing sound is what scares me... Something tells me that's not normal lol

You know what, that sounds very likely, it is currently -19 with wind chill and it's been sitting for 3 days. Also that might explain the hissing sound, it's could be the ice melting?

Ended up tackling it today, actually fixed 2 battery issues today, mine and then my cousins corroded mess. Had to replace his terminals and give it a solid clean, it wouldn't even turn over it was that bad, but that's because he bought a gas dodge... Shame.

image-63.jpg

I can tell you laying in the snow was not fun. Anyways it went fairly smoothly, ill take replace an alternator on a z24 anyday before I tackle the vg again, very accessible (for a nissan motor) not hitches at all except for a couple concerns...

image-65.jpg

1- this new connector seems awfully loose as in I can easily pull it out, won't go in any farther. Has anyone seen this issue before? What are those wires for anyways?

2- that big cylinder looking thing, what is that? It was on the old alternator so I stuck it on the new one, looks like a good way to short the alt. anyone seen this before?

Needless to say it started up like a champ! warmed her up took her around the block, slide around in the snow, good to be back driving the hustler. Here is a photo of the engine bay with the new parts :) the red top looks nice, thinking about cleaning up the engine bay maybe throw some paint on a few things to make it look flashy but it runs so it isn't priority.

image-64.jpg

image-66.jpg

Had to bundle up to tolerate being outside, overdressed? I think not!... And yes that is a pterodactyl on my balaclava...