Starter going out?

enkrypt3d

So every once in a while when I try to crank up the truck it just clicks. I've already replaced this starter once (at least this is what the stealership told me)... sometimes it cranks right up sometimes it takes 6-8 times before it cranks.... since its 4wd, is it impossible to get to seeing as you have to drop the front differential right? Or would it be easier to replace the starter solenoid? It's not a huge deal since I dont drive it much but I dont want to be stranded and have no way to start up the truck since its auto! Thx guys

Make sure all your connections are good, tight and clean first, at the battery and on the starter. Myself and another member found the wire that runs to the starter from the battery was all frayed where it goes into the ring terminal, 2 people is not a lot but something to check.

My truck was doing the same thing, I did the starter relay mod and that fixed it for about a year before the starter finally quit. If it does decide not to start, tapping the starter while someone turns the key to start will usually make it start.

Either way you probably are going to need a starter and I would highly recommend an OEM or aftermarket new one, stay away from re-manufactured starters.

Try doing the starter relay mod:

http://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=315995&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

I have done it to 2 pathys and it fixed this issue.

^From another thread.

And no, you don't have to drop the diff to get to the starter.

without a lift, taking the starter out can get a bit tricky but if coues out toward the front of the truck. I actually went in through the wheel-well and took the screws out of the solenoid bracket and removed it to give me more room. Loosen clamps on your AT lines etc and be persistant. You should be able to remove it

well no power to the starter relay on side of battery 0203141529_zpsn7egblf8.jpg

the new igniotion DOES HAVE POWER on side of it on the terminals.

the clutch safety switch is NOT getting any power. whats stopping it? all the in dash fuses are good. another relay im not seeing?

theres only one other fuse box on my rig and its under the hood 0203141529a_zps0i9jygoz.jpg

If you want to do it the "right Way", you need to follow the wire from the ignition and check for power along the wire every so many inches or at the next junction block. I had a similar problem with the brake lights in my sentra that drove me crazy for about a week, no power to the brake light switch, finally figured it out, had a bad wire between the fuse panel ( in the car) and the brake switch, had power coming out of the fuse block but not at the switch, cut the wire, inserted a new piece DONE !! Good as new !!!

Let me check the schematic and I'll get back to you in a few.

This just came to me while checking the wiring diagram but need to ask, have you tried to start the truck with the shifter in Neutral? Or when it is in Park while pushing the shifter forward?

There is an interlock switch on the shifter so it doesn't start in gear.

OK I'm confused now the OP said his truck is an auto but now 93 Ditchfindah is posting pics and describing his problem in this same thread and his truck is a manual trans? Please start your own thread and can a Moderator remove the second persons posts it's confusing in here now,

Thanks

I replied in your topic in reply to what you posted here, thought i was losing it for a minute, I thought the first post says he has an auto trans but now this one is saying it's a manual tranny ???? LOL