CV joint play and knock sound

Darek

I have a play on the CV joint, I can move it by hand and a knock can be heard. Also when I'm driving through potholes I hear that sound but louder.

What should I replace and do I need to disassemble whole wheel mounting (hub, bearing, etc)?

Here is a video:

All IFS have that popping sound at one point or another, it's very normal noise to hear, especially when hitting the pot holes. I just finished installation of the lift kit and when I tested it out, I got the popping noise, it's from the tension rods and frame IIRC. it is a tension point, hence the name.

The snap ring is definitely installed as last Friday I retightened the wheel bearing and installed it.

I don't believe that such sound is normal for these vehicle. It appeared few weeks ago.

Can you tell us what kind of movement you are doing in the video... (I can't really tell)..

A) moving the shaft from wheel to engine (side to side)

B )Moving the shaft from front to back of the truck

C) Turning the shaft (like if the wheel was turning) forward to reverse

D) Moving the shaft from up to down

Once we know this, we might better be able to help..

S.

Edited by fleurys

It is the A movement - from wheel to engine.

There is one thing that I didn't mention before. When I was repacking wheel bearings half year ago I installed by mistake the snap ring in the middle of the outer shaft not at the end. I did it at both wheels.

Last month I had wheel bearing play at passenger side so I tightened it and reinstalled the snap ring correctly. Some time later the driver side started to knock on potholes so I re-tightened the driver side, installed snap ring correctly and discovered CV joint play.

Ok... Well these half shafts are made to move on this axis. The inner joint on the shaft is called a plungeant tripod joint. This movement is to accommodate the change in length of the shaft when the wheel moves up and down. Now to help diagnose your noise, you easily remove the half shaft and do a roadtest. If the noise is gone , you know for sure it is the shaft.

Now you said you had put the snapring in the middle Of the shaft... I must admit i don,t know how this is possible.. I always thought there was only one groove on the shaft at the end to put the ring... I must not understand properly....

Yes there are 2 grooves as admazan says.

I think I'll go to a mechanic for inspection as I am not well skilled with mechanics and I can't do repairs without instructions.

Anyway thanks for your help.

• 2 months later...

Finally I managed to go to the mechanic. He said that the cv joint play/sound is normal and not suspicious.

He diagnosed that the knock sound is comming from stabilizer bar bushes. I read that one need a press to replace it so I leave it to him.

But currently I can find only two kinds of bushes. Normal for about 3$ per piece and polyurethan for about 9$.

Do you think that polyurethan is better for me (just occasional offroad)?

Do you know if I can use bushes from Terrano 2 or other model? I can find more bushes for Terrano.

These are polyurethan:

21908751.jpg

These are normal:

2221_1.jpg

Edited by Darek