Please help with a back up camera!

04Pathfinder

I'm attempting to install a back up camera. I have the car basically gutted and we're trying to figure out how to run the wire from the outside of the vehicle. Do I have to drill a hole big enough to allow the rca cables to fit through? Did you run it through the top left corner of the back window with the rest of the wires? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated or links to such builds. I'm close to just saying forgot the back up camera and be out the $40 I paid for it. I have a double din JVC head unit and I bought the TaoTronics license plate frame camera. I would truly appreciate any feedback. My Pathy is a 2004 LE btw.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by 04Pathfinder

Hooked up my rear view mirror cam and display.

3_zps665452fa.jpg

1_zps237ea42f.jpg

Looks a little grainy in the pic but it looks clear in person.. The cam has inferred night vision feature. Just waiting till it's a little darker outside to test this feature.

4_zps136c3ec4.jpg

5_zps116e2496.jpg

Inferred

Stoked! :aok:

I ran the cables through the head liner and down the rear driver's side column. Drilled a hole in the rear of the body and sealed it with auto glass sealant after the wires were through. I didn't really take any pics of the wiring as it was really only power, ground and the rca video input cable. The whole thing cost me about $55. Incl some connectors and wire from AutoZone.

My license plate relocation kit for my tire gate came with that light right over the camera. I'm thinking I will run the license plate bolt led lights and remove the one above the cam. But it seems to work either way. At night there was no difference between having the lights on or off.

I run A/V cables in the plastic channel under the passenger side carpet edge along each door, behind the rear right cargo panel and then down through a rubber grommet under the storage cubby then out to the rear of the chassis, under the bumper or wherever else the wires need to go. The job routing the wires is much cleaner if you remove the front passenger seat (4 bolts) and plastic trim covering the B-pillar. The same thing can be done on the driver's side if needed.

I appreciate the feedback. It seems like it will be a huge pain in the ass to run the wire from the hole I'd have to drill behind the license plate, to the grommet in the top left corner of the window. I may just take the loss and go without the back up camera.

I appreciate the feedback. It seems like it will be a huge pain in the ass to run the wire from the hole I'd have to drill behind the license plate, to the grommet in the top left corner of the window. I may just take the loss and go without the back up camera.

You know there is a hole already in the back gate for the licence plate lights right?

I see no problem just running it through the existing holes from the factory....

-Kyle