Lift input

KTempleton

I have a 2002 SE that I am looking into lifting. I've done some research and think I have it narrowed down to a few options. However I do have a few things to think about for the process that might I might need some advice on.

This bad boy is this is my daily driver. I drive about 40 miles round trip to work Houston and all, but it's though town with traffic and neighborhoods and gas mileage is horrible with the starting and stopping. It's great when on freeways though. The other thing is that it has 150k miles on it. In very good shape, I bought from my mom (who baby's any car she has) when she bought new car. I suspect there is some but tell how much suspension sag there is due to age and mileage.

I do not want to go larger in tire size right now maybe not ever. I have a set of Michelin LTX MS P255/65/r16 that have about 20k on and lots of life left.

I played around with a jack in the driveway and cranked it up to 1'', 1.5'' and 2'' (measuring at fenders) and I think I can go up to 1.5'' without it looking stupid with the stock tire size. 1.5'' actually looked really good. I don't do crazy off roading anymore. Mainly on beach, camping, hunting, or to a fishing hole or two. However I want to be able to to push it a little and be confident in it if need be. But I think I narrowed it down to the 4x4 design spacers

My other issue is I just finished a restoration on a ski boat and will be starting to pull that in the next month or so. I think with the mileage on the coils, I think I would like to replace them to accommodate for the weight . Was thinking just a stock size replacement to go with the lift spacers. Or should I go with a heavy duty coil? With this option I want to be careful not to get too much total lift out of taking out the sag if any exists. I also had a lady back into me and crunch the passenger side of front bumper so thinking about an ARB too.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best route to go on this? Coils first to take out sag, then see about spacers? Does anyone have pics of their ride lifted with stock tire sizes? Maybe up to 2''....

Thanks in advance for any input. You guys are the pros. Here's a pic or 2 of what I'm working with. I need to upload more

SUP_zps9a2da87a.jpg

Is your ride a 2WD or 4WD?

If you are strongly considering getting an ARB bumper, I would do that before you choose new springs, since the extra weight will affect the amount of lift achieved with new springs.

For your purposes I would suggest the Old Man Emu setup with an HDPE 1" spacer from Fleurys up front. That's what I have and I love it- excellent stance, perfect smooth ride with no 'top-out' like the AC lift does. The rear springs are much heavier duty than factory, and I'm certain it would have no trouble towing. On top of that, despite the higher center of gravity, it handles better than stock! I find myself taking off ramps a good 10-15mph faster than I realize. I can't recommend them enough, especially for daily-driver duty (which is what I do). I have an 02 SE as well. :happy:

When first installed- (they've settled since then)

IMG_2216G_zps271c0ba9.jpg

IMG_2226G_zpsd36f871b.jpg

Mind you, I have 245/75r16s which translate to 30.5" tires, whereas your size is roughly a 29". But yours shouldn't look too hokey-pokey with the 1.75" lift the OME nets.

Edited by Karmann

For your purposes I would suggest the Old Man Emu setup with an HDPE 1" spacer from Fleurys up front. That's what I have and I love it- excellent stance, perfect smooth ride with no 'top-out' like the AC lift does. The rear springs are much heavier duty than factory, and I'm certain it would have no trouble towing. On top of that, despite the higher center of gravity, it handles better than stock! I find myself taking off ramps a good 10-15mph faster than I realize. I can't recommend them enough, especially for daily-driver duty (which is what I do). I have an 02 SE as well. :happy:

When first installed- (they've settled since then)

IMG_2216G_zps271c0ba9.jpg

IMG_2226G_zpsd36f871b.jpg

Mind you, I have 245/75r16s which translate to 30.5" tires, whereas your size is roughly a 29". But yours shouldn't look too hokey-pokey with the 1.75" lift the OME nets.

Yeah, I def like your ride. I'v looked at your build quite a bit. I think i just started following you on instagram too.

I like OME's stuff. I had their springs with bilstein shocks on my old Tacoma. Awesome ride quality too

Edited by KTempleton

remember if you are doing a lift it is a good idea to install longer than stock rear shocks. I made the mistake of not installing longer shocks in the rear and as a result the stock length KYBs were always at full extension all the time and not allowing the rear axle to droop as it should into holes. I have since installed Bilstien 5150s and the ride is much better. As for springs I did Iron Man and like Karmann I'm very happy with them. they did 35mm of lift in the front and allow for 400lbs over stock in the rear. the ride quality is fantastic.

I did the same as bushnut. I have Iron Man springs. With 1" spacer up front. However they have settled since then. I should probably go back to the same spot to take a pic to compare. But here it is.

I am running your size tires here. 255/65R16

IMG_20131018_114218929.jpg

Here shows the rake more. But this is with 31" tires.

IMG_20131116_120934117_HDR.jpg

Edited by Rebelord

BTW, I regularly carry about 300lbs of tools in the back and tow a 2500lb trailer. With the original springs, the rear would sag down the where the fender flares would start to cover the tire. Now, barely makes a peep and rids BETTER than stock and smooth.

Yeah, I def like your ride. I'v looked at your build quite a bit. I think i just started following you on instagram too.

I like OME's stuff. I had their springs with bilstein shocks on my old Tacoma. Awesome ride quality too

Thank you :) my build on ExPo under the name of Allof75 is a lot more extensive if you're curious, and I'm jdm_offroad on Instagram. But yes with the 4600 Bilsteins in the rear I'm in hog heaven as far as ride quality. Highly recommended, and in my case no camber bolts needed.