Fuel injector wiring/connector repair (damn rats!)

TXPower

I have tried all evening to figure out how to post a pic and for some reason cant get it done so sorry, no pic. I have another post going titled Dilemma, in it I explain that rats chewed a bunch of wires on my 93 SE while it sat disabled for a while. I have fixed most of the wires but am working on the last ones, the fuel injector wires that go to the drivers side bank. I pulled the plenum today to make room for good access and found the damn rat chewed some of all three pairs of wires going down to the injector connectors. Making matters worse, on two of the connectors, the damn rat chewed the wire all the way to where the wire enters the hard plastic body of the connector. Looking at the connector, I got to wondering, do ya'll think its possible to push the two pins out of the connectors hard plastic body, put new wire into the crimp and push back into the connector? Anyone ever tried this? I'm guessing I cant just go buy new fuel injector connectors at the auto parts store???

Thanks,

TXPower

I'd be surprised if the parts store had them, but the wrecking yard probably does, and you might get un-chewed rubber bits out of the deal too.

A while back Rob posted pics of a Murano intake that rats had filled with dog food. The owner quickly discovered that valves don't like dog food.

The connectors sold at rockauto suggested by ahardb0dy might work. The connector body looks a bit different but the terminals inside look as though they are the same. Will check at local JY too. But heck the ones at rockauto are cheap enough if they don't work I ain't out much.

Thx,

TXPower

you can also get the complete under hood harness online for about $120 but I would try a junkyard so you can take what you need.

as for buying replacement connectors, the most important thing is to match up the location of the "notch" in the plug, some plugs have the "notch" to the left side, right side or in the center.

Edited by ahardb0dy

ejin, why not an injection harness? I didn't know it was an option. I haven't consulted my FSM yet. Is the injector harness separable or plugged into the main harness somewhere so that I can easily remove that entire section? If so, I'll do that.

Thanks gentlemen,

TXPower

I missed this last night, in the FSM it shows the harness that goes to the injectors and a few other things as a separate harness, You could probably just replace this harness, will have to get a part number, here it is in the FSM:

14d0ehv.jpg

Ok, the price I posted for the harness is for the injector harness, should be part number - 24078-57G00 (engine sub harness) but if you decide to order it I would double check it with Rob first.

Edited by ahardb0dy

ejin, why not an injection harness? I didn't know it was an option. I haven't consulted my FSM yet. Is the injector harness separable or plugged into the main harness somewhere so that I can easily remove that entire section? If so, I'll do that.

Thanks gentlemen,

TXPower

Its not a bad pull as long as your willing to take the upper manifold off. Its only 4 or 5 bolts and some hoses which you probably need to replace anyway. Everything on the top of your engine including your injectors goes back to that bunch of wires and connectors at the front of your engine. The only tricky one is the knock sensor which is under your lower intake but you can get your hand in there if your patient and don't mind the squeeze. Personally with all the rats you have described I'd take the intake down to the heads off so I could clean it all out and make sure they didn't leave you any more presents. Even with all that its easier than chasing down wires and plugs and heaven only knows what else, And I would seriously hate to be chasing a wiring problem that turned out to be a vacuum leak.

Here is a pic of the bugger with the lower intake out of the way. yes that is a vg33 but its close enough.

2013-05-10_005706_knock_sensor_location.

Edited by ejin4499

ahardb0dy, ejin, thanks! I've been checking local wrecking yards for donors. Oh yeah, who's Rob and when you say order it, you saying this portion of the harness can still be purchased new, or am I not understanding?

For giggles, while looking for the parts I need for this VG30E, I been looking at VG33E, there are several available, not too expensive. Swap is looking better................ But I will be getting this tired O'l VG30E back up and running first. These pathfinders are heavy, tired of pushing it when I move it.

Thanks,

TXPower

see this thread for Rob:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/18653-genuine-nissan-parts/page-45?do=findComment&comment=703018

not sure on availability of that harness, ask Rob in that thread and he will get back to you

Edited by ahardb0dy

ahardb0dy, ejin, thanks! I've been checking local wrecking yards for donors. Oh yeah, who's Rob and when you say order it, you saying this portion of the harness can still be purchased new, or am I not understanding?

For giggles, while looking for the parts I need for this VG30E, I been looking at VG33E, there are several available, not too expensive. Swap is looking better................ But I will be getting this tired O'l VG30E back up and running first. These pathfinders are heavy, tired of pushing it when I move it.

Thanks,

TXPower

My vote is for the swap. I Love mine. You'll still need the wiring harness either way. Keep your existing injectors then you don't have to splice anything.

Ok, so I found a local JY that has the entire wiring harness in a 1990 XE which was equipped with an auto tranny. The guy says one fuel injector connector or the entire engine harness, $100 buck, my choice. I actually would like to have the entire harness, cause like I mentioned on my other thread going titled Dilemma, the rats hit me in more than one spot and I had to do a bunch of splicing fixing on the wires up near the battery tray. Here's the question will the wiring harness from a 1990 work, does it matter that the donor had an automatic, what do I need to know or look out for? Any and all advice please.

In case it helps, the donor VIN is JN8HD17Y2MW018337

Thanks to all,

TXPower

you should be able to just get the sub harness that goes to the injectors, is that what you are talking about? And yes it should work as the harness only goes to the following items, see pic:

29qkv2r.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

Yeah, thanks ahardb0dy, that's what I need for sure. I wasn't clear in my initial question. The JY said whether I get all of the under hood harness, or a piece of it, it's $100.00. So, will "all of it" work on my truck, even though mine is a different trim package and standard instead of automatic? And perhaps, more importantly, is it worth it to pay $100.00 for all of the under hood harness, or should I keep looking to see if I can get just what I need somewhere else?

Thanks to all,

TXPower

The engine bay wiring does vary slightly auto vs manual (different relays and a dropping resistor for the AT). I think the harness itself is the same and ends up with a few unused plugs depending on which version you have.

If the replacement harness is in good condition (look for corrosion in the connectors as well as screwed up wires) and saves you a few nights of splicing wires (and possibly more wiring issues down the road) IMO it's not too bad of a deal.

Well if you can get the whole under hood harness and it's in good shape for $100 compared to just the sub-harness New for $120 or so, than it's probably a good deal, just keep in mind the used harness is 24 years old