poor running

LOVELADY

I have a 1995 nissan pathfinder LE and it idles fine but when i put it into reverse or drive it bogges down to 0rpm and barely runs and when i give it gas in drive to go somewhere it sounds like it is going faster then what it is and i can only get up 30 miles per hour and it only makes it to second gear. I would like some help please been doing this for 2 months now and i am ready to stop pouring money into it. thanks.

Sounds to me like its dragging a gear and a transmission rebuild/ replacement is in order. I know that's not what you want to hear but that's the worst it can be. Hopefully someone with More Faith in the autotragic transmission will come along and tell you more or know about something simpler that could be the cause.

AND OR more ways to diagnose it.

There's a section in the FSM (AT section) that details how to read codes from the light in the transmission's 'power mode' switch. This wouldn't tell you what to do but it might tell you what's gone wrong.

Depending on how far you want to get into this you could drop the transmission pan and see if you could unstick the valve or clear a passage from there. You also might look into seafoam trans-tune, IIRC a few people on here had some success with it, though this is the first I've read about this particular issue.

If you get the valve unstuck, the trans would probably work better, but depending on how long it's been fighting its clutches against each other it may have other damage.