All back together, won't start?

schrocketeer

My boys and I finally got all of the pieces back together on our 87 Pathfinder 4wd with a z24i, and hit the key, starter turns, and no firing. No barks, coughs, or sputters. :-(

6 gallons of 91 octane, no ethanol fuel as of last Tuesday. We had dropped and rinsed the tank a few weeks ago. Fuel gauge shows 1/4 tank. Fuel to the throttle body - I took the hose off and had gas spray when my helper hit the starter.

Spark out of both coils and at all eight spark plugs. New spark plugs last week. We did take the distributor off during our work. We had the rotor to have #1 intake firing. When we put the head on, we did line up the two silver links with cylinder #1 at TDC on compression stroke.

New battery as of Saturday.

I thought the injectors might be plugged. I tried pulling the throttle body from the intake manifold to squirt carb cleaner up in to the injectors. Not sure how effective that was.

When I bought it in April 2012, I did hear it run for maybe 10 seconds. Could the injectors have gotten clogged sitting that long?

Can you see the injectors spraying from the throttle body? Try cranking it with the aircleaner off to see if it sprays fuel, just don't put your face too close in case it backfires. You can also try spraying some starting fluid through the throttle body and cranking it AFTER you've sprayed the fluid.

No sign (or smell) of the injectors working. When I lifted the throttle body off there was some liquid underneath. I'm not sure if it was gas that had come through the injectors, or Sea Foam that I had poured in to the throttle body hoping it would get to somewhere helpful. Until yesterday I didn't understand the injectors were pointing down, directly underneath the rounded silver cover.

I have sprayed starting fluid past the opened butterfly. Still no hint of firing.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure you aligned the distributor right? It sounds like you knew what you were doing, but if it won't even kick on ether, it doesn't sound like it's sparking at the right time. Might double-check the cam timing if the distributor's correct.

I was thinking along the same lines, like it is 180 degrees out of whack.

I have done that one before and spent time scratching my head.

I had to chastize myself after. :stickwack: