Where can I find a spare tire carrier.....

mikestewart395

I have one sitting in my garage, it's a pity you're the other side of the country! I already checked shipping to the East Coast for someone else that wanted it & it was around $300 I think.

I have one too, I see a trend here! P...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On my drive back down from Michigan I studied the rear mounts of other small suv types, I wonder if I can use one off of a different vehicle. I'm buying a new welder in a month or so, maybe I can make something work.

I have wondered if the carrier from an Isuzu or something (one of them that hinges on the driver's side so you can load/unload while parallel parked) could be adapted. I imagine the brackets would require some reshaping to fit the profile of the panel, and then you'd need to make a plate to go behind, and then rig up something with the latch.

How hard could it be? :scratchhead:

On my drive back down from Michigan I studied the rear mounts of other small suv types, I wonder if I can use one off of a different vehicle. I'm buying a new welder in a month or so, maybe I can make something work.

If you have a welder, just make your own bumper with a carrier built off of it. A post on one end is a suitable 'hinge', just have to figure out the latch part. Maybe that could come from junk yard doners.

$580 on FACTORYNISSANPARTS.COM Yea, I'll just keep it on the roof for now

You could probably have a used factory rack shipped to you freight for about $100...

B

• Like 1

The one from the Isuzu will work I think. I wish I had time and access to one so I could hold it up to the Pathy and see if it will sit right.Yes I do have a welder, but it is 2 states away. The wife and I are moving in a month or so, then I can get all of my tools together here. I am going to be fabricating some custome bumpers, skid plates etc., maybe then I will try to make a carrier. Then again I am going to be making a monster Land Rover style roof rack so if I can scoop the front of it like an Xterra rack then I will keep the tire up top without worry of the air drag like it is doing now.