97 SE Steering Wheel does not lock

lespauljr2005

Having issues with the steering wheel not locking when the key is in off and out.

What is the fix if anyone else has gone through this,

I have had trouble in the winters before with the key not turning in the tumbler but never this.

I obviously cannot start the pathfinder, but did find a sweet spot to get it going once to make it home,

Please let me know any ideas, Thanks Guys, PB

Do you mean that even when the key is out of the ignition, the steering wheel can rotate full right/left (assuming you're able to w/o the engine running)?

Why can you not start the engine? Sometimes you need to wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while turning the key.

Hi, I think the key is worn down, that is causing the problem. Plus being 20 degrees for 3 weeks now,

I did turn the wheel to finally get it started, if the key is out, the wheel can rotate any direction, I think it used to lock, now nothing. It's getting old, any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

It could be a key/lockset issue may be the problem if the key is very worn out.

You can also look at

1) shift lock solenoid not fully engaging/disengaging.

2) the shift lock cable being out of adjustment. The vehicle may not be 100% fully into P and it can also cause some symptoms like you describe. Wiggle the shifter forward when this happens and see if it lets you rotate and start.

3) broken brake pedal bumper for brake pedal switch

4) bad brake pedal switch (could be intermittant before it totaly dies)

5) brake pedal switch out of adjustment (it has an adjustment nut)

Any or some/all of these can cause the symptoms you describe.