Undertaking body off restoration on 91 Pathfinder

Rusty

I have been retired for 2 years now and have built two hot rods. A 32 Ford Roadster Hi-boy and a 23 T-Bucket. My daughter bought a 91 Pathfinder in 91 when she was sixteen and three years ago she moved into a motor home and had too many cars so gave it to me. She now wants it restored and wants it back to use in Colorado where she needs the 4X4. It has over 350,000 miles on it and still running. I want to do a body off restoration and do it right. I can handle the engine and tranny rebuild but will need help on the body parts and wiring harness so will be looking for help when I get to that part. She wants it by next winter so this will be a busy summer. I hope to post pics and progress and problems during the project.

Hello Rusty, welcome to NPORA.

Sounds like you know your way around a wrench, so I'll stick to basics. Go to the Garage section where there is a pinned topic for Factory Service Manuals and download the 1994 version (the earliest). There will be some differences, but mainly in dash, trim, etc. The vast majority will apply to yours and poking around here will inform you of the differences.

While you certainly can rebuild the engine, it might be worth just replacing it with a JDM or part out motor. There is always the VG33 swap from newer vehicles and a little more HP is always nice in a 4k# vehicle. ;)

I don't know that it needs a frame off, but make sure the frame is ok first. The ones in the salt states rot out...

Pictures are always nice, especially of your hot rods! :D

It has over 350,000 miles on it and still running.

That says something, doesn't it?

14x around the world and still running. Funny thing is it isn't that unusual... ;)

B

Here are some pics of my 32 Ford Roadster and 23 T-Bucket I am still working on. It needs headers, seat and interior panels and some carpet and it will be done. They both have a sbc 350, which I rebuilt. The 32 has an old 4 speed Saginaw and the t-bucket has a th400 automatic. You can see the rear of the 91 Pathfinder I will be working on starting next month. I'll post pics of the Pathfinders restoration as I go along.

HPIM0697_zps34b31652.jpgHPIM1193_zps9d39c49c.jpg

B, it never rains in East Tennessee don't you know, yaw right! I made a top frame out of 1/2" conduit and had a local upholstery shop sew me up a top. I'll do the same for the t-bucket. My daughter wants me to install a pop up on the Pathfinder, she is a pro mountain biker so camps out a lot when she goes to races. That will be a challenge, maybe just take the sky light out and she can crawl up through that?

Rusty

f68ad0e5-140c-4991-9e73-e119412b6ddf_zps

Hah! Cool, that looks nice and clean both with and without the top. :aok:

I'm not sure about the pop up though. There is a trick to swap out the rear seat bottom hinge pins with shoulder bolts and wing nuts for easy removal. Once those are out, anyone under 6 feet can sleep in the back without issue. A camping mattress fits nicely so it would be comfortable and what some people do for storage is build a drawer system underneath. That works out quite well...

The bike would have to stay outside, but it can be locked up well enough. Not like a Pathy is hard to get into. :rolleyes:

B

Hah! Cool, that looks nice and clean both with and without the top. :aok:

There is a trick to swap out the rear seat bottom hinge pins with shoulder bolts and wing nuts for easy removal. Once those are out, anyone under 6 feet can sleep in the back without issue. . :rolleyes:

B

^^^

Like he said

I cut the rivets out and installed latching pins in their place, makes for more room with the seat bottoms

out. and a 6 footer can sleep back there comfortably

• 2 weeks later...