Best oil?

PrestonBurns

Yellow sludge? Under your oil cap? It's just an emulsion of blow-by gases combined with condensation. It's commonplace in winter time, and it's below the oil cap because it's the highest (and coolest) part of the crankcase. Once a week, drive up to operating temperature and continue driving 20 minutes to boil off moisture and the problem should stop happening.

As for oil, whatever 5W30 is on sale. 10W30 is an obsolete grade and serves no useful purpose today. Any filter will be fine too, although for colder temperatures you may want a filter with a silicone antidrainback valve which doesn't become brittle and hard like the nitrile ADBVs on cheaper filters do. Silicone ADBVs generally seal better too since they are more pliable. Silicone ADBVs are orange, so just open the box and look at the filter - you'll know. Change it after 5,000 miles.

VQs also take 5.25 QTS "by the book" but I just dump in 5qt jug and it's at the full line.

Edited by Towncivilian
  • Like 1

Full synthetic has no adverse affects. Its been discussed till the horses skeleton has decomposed on this forum and others.

But for any specific oil questions I would suggest Bob Is the Oil Guy forum.

Sent from my Moto X!

• Like 1

Oil grade depends on the weather where you live IMO, and change intervals depend on driving style IMO.

As far as filters, anything but Fram extra guard, I'm leary of the cardboard endcaps in them.

I prefer Valvoline since it goes on sale at the FLAPS by my house, Wix oil filters too.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ
  • Like 1

Sometimes the white bottle valvoline will be on sale for 9 dollars at the walmart here. I don't usually shop there, but that is a great deal here in Canada.

I run 5w30 in all seasons. Never have any issues.