Trans fluid leak

PJMack

Hello,

I tried searching this forum for a thread addressing this issue but I couldn't find one. PLEASE let me know if I should take my concern to a different thread, I'm already pretty clueless with my truck I'd hate to be even more of nuisance here as well.

I'm not sure how frequently you guys peruse these threads but I posted an inquiry some time ago about a radio installation. The people that responded were extremely helpful, especially considering I have only managed to learn what I need to about my pathy to get by. I am having some much greater difficulty this time though, as it seems like there is a severed connection in my trans fluid and it is leaking out the front when I start the car.

I initially noticed this problem when I was a short ways away from home and my car suddenly couldn't shift to a different gear. I stopped and checked the fluid and it was somehow empty even though I just changed it last week. I tried refilling it and fresh trans fluid started leaking out right under the radiator (only while it is running).

I have been trying to read up on this issue and my guess is that the connection to radiator, or the cooling component specifically is severed somewhere, that or the cooling component is ruptured entirely, leaking fluid. There is a splash shield preventing me from seeing exactly what is wrong and I am hoping someone here might know how to remove it and check to see what is wrong.

Also, I understand that some these cooling components are directly attached to the radiator depending on the vehicle. If I find out that the cooling component is ruptured, can anyone tell me if it I'm gonna need to replace an entire radiator? I have a 1994 Pathfinder SE. Let me know if you need more information.

There are 6 10mm bolts that hold the skid plate on, remove them and it will come off. After that you'll see 2 small hoses running to the radiator from some hardlines near the oil pan. There is a good change you just need to change or re attach one of those rubber hoses.

Ok, sounds like a hose is disconnected or severed.

You need to remove the skid plate via the 10mm hex head bolts on the underneath, on the cross members. Hopefully you don't live in a salt state or these bolts may break.

There are two hoses going from the transmission, out from underneath the motor on the front passenger side that go into the bottom of the radiator. Can you see anything amiss?

10mm socket/wrench, rags and flashlight recommended.

B

The cooler is part of the radiator, but in the unlikely event that it's the problem, the rest of the rad should still be usable. Just plumb the trans lines to an aftermarket cooler and you'll be good to go.

+1 on it probably being the hoses. And spray some penetrant on the skid plate bolts before you try and get 'em off... mine's held on by two bolts and a sheet metal screw because the other four sheared off.

thanks guys. I got the skid bolts off and took a look at the hoses with the engine on. The ends of the hoses that fed to the bottom of the radiator were obscured but there was definitely a steady dripping of trans fluid from holes in the metal underneath where the left hose connects to the cooler. There was also small dripping from the other ends on both hoses. While the hoses definitely look like they need to be replaced I think my problem may be with the trans cooler, but I could not determine if it was built into the radiator or if it was something I could replace separately.

I hope I don't have to get a new radiator just because of this small issue.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I never got around to thanking you guys for your help earlier. My trans cooler was built into the radiator and the radiator already looked like it was suffering so I just decided to replace it. I finally managed to do so a few days ago but either my problems persist or new ones have surfaced. After hooking up the new trans cooler, my pathy would initially run but within an hour of use would show the same problems as I described before- I will elaborate on this problem so you don't have to go back to my first post:

Problem first occurred when I was about 2 minutes from home after driving on the highway and I came to a stop, suddenly when I tried to accelerate I couldn't pass more than 2 thousand rpms. the meter on the dash would bounce back down and the vehicle would struggle unless I stayed at a certain speed or slower. After I got home I left it for a while and then tried starting it again, it would turn over but wouldn't start. I replaced the trans cooler, after that I was able to get the vehicle running again though it sounds more like it's 'chugging' along. I don't know how to describe it, it just seems like its not running as strong as it used to though this might just be my imagination as I'm only recently comparing my vehicle to more operational ones.

Anyway, after I drove it a little that night I ran into the same problem which I assumed was with the transmission. It wouldn't pass more than 2 thousand rpms and while refilling trans fluid seems to have fixed that, the vehicle still won't start sometimes. It will turn over and if give it a little gas it will start, but the rpms stay below a thousand and it turns off as soon as I let go of the pedal.

Since a transmission is only an issue when the vehicle is in gear, I am beginning to think there is a problem with my fuel pump. I was at advanced yesterday to pick up new trans cooler hoses since my old ones were still leaking a bit, though not as much they were earlier. The truck wouldn't start when I tried to leave though, and so I put a new fuel filter in hoping it might solve any problems. the fuel line seemed to be ok, or at least it had pressure and fuel was coming out from the end that fed into the filter. Regardless, I switched out the filter and put some fuel cleaner in the tank. After a few more tries I managed to get it running and got it home, though I have not tried driving it since. Does anything I described here sound like another problem or do you think I should look into a new fuel pump?

That's a whole host of things! I can't imagine how the trans would prevent the engine from starting, unless it was full of concrete. The 2k rpm thing sounds like the ECU is going into limp mode... any codes/check engine light?

I wouldn't suspect the pump quite yet, but you might try swapping the fuel filter if that hasn't been done in a while.

I know, I was gonna narrow it down but I realized I wasn't capable of judging of what was important and what I was worth ignoring so I just thought I'd try to give as much detail as possible. I did swap the fuel filter before I posted last and it hasn't had any problems starting since then but i feel like not asking about a problem is what got my truck to this point in the first place. I'll keep an eye on it thank you for reading that terribly long post