clutch break in ? proper heat up cycle ?

stabworthy

ok, i watch these shows , they build the fresh engine , fresh trans , they throw it in a car , then do a fat burnout. What break in cycle are they using ? I know about the magic of tv but I know that clutch is not seeing 500 miles of stop and go. I know there aren’t a stage 5 clutch. SO, what is the “proper heat cycle”? What do I do? What I looking for? How do you break in a clutch in the race car/ non street legal car?

brake in a clutch? heat cycle it, use it lightly for the first few running minutes, or else extra stress will be put on it. allow it to warm up with the engine. when its warm, dont go hard on it as in dumping it, but it might need to be ridden a bit to burn it in a bit. the clutch is broken in good when it falls into, or will stay in adjustment well. Mainly, just go easy on it for the first few running hours

---josh

I put in a centerforce clutch a week before I did the jungle trial at hollister. I did not drive it much except for the drive from Manteca to Hollister. The clutch was a bit grabbie for the trip there but it seemed to break in on the drive there. I have not had a problem with it still to this day. I would think as longs as you resurface the flywheel or replace it, clutch break in should go smoothly. You want to avoid overheating and glazing the flywheel before you wear the clutch linings to match the flywheel/pressure plate surfaces. Most of the time there is not much of a gap and this happens pretty quickly. If you buy a low quality clutch or have a improperly machine flywheel (or rusty/dirty) this will take longer.

X2 on just being easy on it driving like a normal human who can actually drive stick, and realizing Fast and Loud lies...

:lol: that was the show in question

I put in a centerforce clutch a week before I did the jungle trial at hollister. I did not drive it much except for the drive from Manteca to Hollister. The clutch was a bit grabbie for the trip there but it seemed to break in on the drive there. I have not had a problem with it still to this day. I would think as longs as you resurface the flywheel or replace it, clutch break in should go smoothly. You want to avoid overheating and glazing the flywheel before you wear the clutch linings to match the flywheel/pressure plate surfaces. Most of the time there is not much of a gap and this happens pretty quickly. If you buy a low quality clutch or have a improperly machine flywheel (or rusty/dirty) this will take longer.

that is what i want to hear. its not like, im going back out of the drive way and do a fat burnout , it just that , after a year of being down, and the clutch slipping the whole time i have owned it, im going be excited. i dont know if i can keep my foot out of it :laugh: