should i replace both cv shafts or just one?

thorpe991

so yesterday i started to tear apart my pathfinder to put my lift in and noticed my driver side cv boot was ripped but the passenger side is ok i plan on doing my struts next spring so im going to try and make it threw this winter with the cv boot ripped i might duct tape it since it will only be driven on the roads this winter and wont see any crazy angles or anything past maybe alil 4wd to get out of the drive way if this winter is like the past couple it wont ever be put into 4wd. so if it makes it threw this winter or if it ends up breaking should i replace both sides or just the driver side and when i do my cv shaft/struts should i change my tierods?

I only replace ones with torn boots, but if you have the money, replace both. Typically if one rips the other side isn't far behind lol. You could probably make it through the winter if it isn't making noise yet. A little shot of grease into the boot and some duct tape may do the trick. Keep in mind unless you have manual hubs, the CV shafts spin all the time on a 97. Regardless of whether you're in 4wd or not. If you get manual hubs, it will also give you 2-3mpg instantly.

i dont have manual hubs and when im not in 4wd there no noise and the only time there is noise when im in 4wd is if i hit a bump or drop off something more than 5-6" and its a clunk like not a bang or a knock its literately a clunk so i think my ball joints or something in there needs replacing also (personally i think the hole front end suspension and steering /drive have to replaced) the previous owners only fixed stuff when it stopped them from driving but they did have a detailed like the date how many miles and everything from a shop near where they live and the changed the oil every 2- 3000 miles

very often cv boots will rip (if not ripped already) shortly after a suspension lift. as the half shaft angles will change stretching the rubber from the boot differently from the stock position. the boots have been on there a while in the stock position and the rubber can be old and brittle. A lift stretches the old rubber in a new position and will generally tear within a few hundred miles after the lift. so keep an eye on them after the lift especially after a wheeling trip when you are running the suspension in its full range of motion.

Edited by msavides

very often cv boots will rip (if not ripped already) shortly after a suspension lift. as the half shaft angles will change stretching the rubber from the boot differently from the stock position. the boots have been on there a while in the stock position and the rubber can be old and brittle. A lift stretches the old rubber in a new position and will generally tear within a few hundred miles after the lift. so keep an eye on them after the lift especially after a wheeling trip when you are running the suspension in its full range of motion.

i wont be wheeling till next spring as most of the places i wheel get shutdown/ inaccessible during the winter months and the boot is already ripped with no lift

so iv been looking around and obviously rockauto has the cheapest ones but im not sure about the quality of the brands there so im between whats there and the ones at 4x4parts.com since all of there stuff its good quality or better than stock what do you guys think?

I agree with AndyC,

stock is the most reliable. The aftermarket New, (rebuilt is a crap shoot) are good for on road. as soon as you go off road that is where the issues lie. The angles on the aftermarket new units are horrible and if you do not wear them in a bit before going to the extreme angles they will snap pretty quickly. I put some New china made half shafts in my 91 and broke them in for about 6 months before wheeling. The first time i did some serious wheeling I snapped one. I had saved and rebuilt (new boots and grease) the stock ones and put them on a shelf. I put my stock one in place of the broken new one and have not had any problems since.

Now before anyone says they have great luck with there new china half shafts. Let me just say, I have a front Locker and with it locked it puts a ton more stress on the half shafts. so if you don't plan on a front locker those half shafts might work fine. The point was to make that the stock shafts are superior to the cheap after market.

so i dont know how long the boot has been ripped as i got the pathfinder in august and didnt look at them is there anyway to clean them and will any boot do or is there a certain boot i should get

and how do i "rebuild the stock one"

Rebuild = removing old boots, removing old grease, cleaning any debris, checking for excess play within the joint, then re-greasing and putting on new boots.

if they have excess play, are worn or clicking there done.

Look for scoring, cracks, and discoloration in the Balls.

BTW it has been said that Rockford boots are the most durable boots.

I just bought cheap rock auto boots.

Edited by msavides

when cleaning the joint what should i use and i seen autozone has boots are those junk or would i be ok going with those

do i change just the ripped boot (outside) or do i do both boots

this is the one i was thinking http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Dorman-CV-Boot-Kit/1997-Nissan-Datsun-Pathfinder-4WD/_/N-j9ffdZ6o1zt?itemIdentifier=491374_173042_3550_