Power steering questions

cvdloc

So been thinking about my power steering leak. Just looks like it's on it's last leg but perfectly smooth if you keep fluid in it. I know the saying don't fix it if it ain't broken, I just want to be prepared for it.

image-26.jpg

Just have a few questions and routes I can take. First thing is can I swap my 95 wd21 power steering unit to my 87 d21? Is that something that would be bolt on? On first glance they look the same but could be different, could always find out the part numbers and compare. Also how are these to swap out? Has anyone done it?

I am doing a sas in the spring summer ish, and I have heard people converting there steering system to the 2wd version, can someone explain to me the advantage to this? And or do you think this would be a better route with the solid axle? Maybe I don't even have too, I know it helps with lifted ifs. Anyways just a thought.

I have been talking about going for hydrolic steering, would be nice, but at first ill only be running 33's at the largest just seems unnecessary. And I know steering is one of those things you want to get right lol if anything else breaks down atlease you can steer out :lol: anyways just debating on what to do, thinking what route you guys would take? thanks for your inputs and advice in advance!

Yeesh! I can't even tell where it leaks! Does it just weep ATF from every pore? :blink:

Ok, I don't think the swap would be straight forward because I believe the pitman arm has a different sized taper or shape and the spline count is different? There is a difference, I just can't seem to recall...

Yes, I would go to a Nissan parts site and check the years/numbers.

I believe only Nefarious and Tungsten have swapped to the 2wd front end here. I have read some of it, but I'm not a steering geometry wiz so I don't see the benefit, and I just have a hard time believing that Nissan would engineer a weaker system for their 4x4 model and not use the 2wd system instead. Regardless, I simply braced the idler arm and installed a HooHaa center link so I've addressed the shortcomings a different way.

If it is going to be driven on the street, I'm not sure a hydraulic system would be acceptable. Best bet is to go and look into the Hard Core Fab section and see what some of the SAS crew have done and copy a proven system. ;)

B

It just kind of sweats ATF :lol:

I did a quick search on rockauto to see if they were the same part number for that whole unit and they are different, didn't say what's different but atlease I know they are now.

I think I'm going to investigate what people have done for their sas. Did a quick search and something about a bronco steering box? Maybe someone who has done it could chime in? Anyways I got myself some threads to read through. Thanks precise1!

ATF is the problem. Try running some Bars or Lucas in that bitch. Atf will pour out faster then generic Prestone fluid.

I loved how one of my full sizes blew the high pressure line and after I replaced it and bled it, it starting leaking from the pump it self. Which is how I know that ATF leaks faster then prestone.

I'm fairly that is anecdotal rather than qualitative. I've always been under the impression they were the same thing, but maybe only in a pinch and they have different viscosity or additives. :shrug:

*cues TownCivilian with bobistheoilguy link in 3...2...1...*

B

Thanks precise1!

You are welcome, sorry I couldn't remember all the info. I know it is here though...

2wd swap is phenomenal for a lifted IFS truck. less bump steer, i dont eat through tie rods and center links anymore, just drives better lifted.

on that note, if u are going sas in a few months then don't bother. just do what nismo said and pour some power steering stop leak for now to tie you over until the box comes out, at which point you will want to swap to the 95 steering box which has the largest taper (and largest pitman arm) to ream out for your sas steering.

I like that idea, it looks like everything should bolt up the same it's just got the bigger pitman arm, that could work out nicely, cheaper than customizing something else to fit.

Didn't think of that, would help it leak less, next time it gets low ill fill it up with that stuff. Prestone? Is it a type of ATF? Just a bit confused on what to look for

I would just use the Lucas power steering stop leak, Lucas stuff has been good to me in the past. It's just temporary until the sas anyway. And Yeah the 95 steering box will bolt to your frame it just won't bolt to your current center link. Once u go sas u want the large taper steering box anyway to get the biggest solid axle steering joint u can get in there anyways. Looks like you have a plan .

Alright thanks, ill look for that. Yeah, I'm not too concerned about it, like I said it steers fine just looks nasty :lol: pathfinders is nice and clean, had no steering issues at all so that will be the ideal option. Why not, hoping to scrap the pathy before the end of the month taking everything I can, doesn't look pretty covered in mud sitting in the driveway with a tarp covering half of it

For your 95 WD21. Nissan still provides rebuild seal kits for the unit if you feel like taking that project on that way:

49321-55G27 SEAL KIT, SHAFT $16.79

49203-Y0127 SEAL KIT, GEAR $7.85

49277-Y0102 SEAL SET, PISTON $13.23

49345-55G26 SL KT-OIL, PINION $22.40

You are correct though, the steering gear for the early D21 and late WD21 are different:

D21 V6

49200-31G00 GEAR ASMY 11/85-11/89

49200-88G00 GEAR ASMY 08/89-07/90

49200-93G10 GEAR ASMY 07/90-07/92

49200-59G15 GEAR ASMY 07/92-10/94

WD21 V6

49200-88G00 GEAR ASMY 08/89-07/90

49200-93G10 GEAR ASMY 07/90-07/92

49200-59G15 GEAR ASMY 07/92-10/94

PSF and ATF are nearly identical fluids, but PSF generally doesn't contain the friction modifiers found in ATF for obvious reasons (no clutch packs). Viscosity at operating temperature varies somewhat of course, but all are rather thin around 6-8 cSt. Using ATF, of which Dexron II or III (depending on your Pathfinder's model year) is specified as suitable for use in the power steering system does not cause leaks.

Putting in gorilla snot to thicken up the fluid is a bandaid and will lower cold weather performance significantly. It is always better to fix the leak when finances permit.

After fixing the leak, flush the system using a synthetic ATF (Valvoline MaxLife ATF, Mobil 1 ATF, Amsoil ATF or PSF are good options) and add in a Magnefine in-line filter on the return line. The fewer contaminants floating around in the fluid, the less chance another leak may occur in the future since the fluid isn't full of abrasives which can damage seals. Siphon & fill the reservoir every 20-30k afterwards to refresh the additive package.

Thanks for the information guys! I think as it sits I'm going to bandaid it up, I'm moving to a colder climate for the winter, and as a heavy snowboarder I spend 2-3 days on a mountain a week so maybe gorilla snot or thickening agent isn't the best idea, just use thicker fluid instead of ATF.

Anyways when I inspect the pathfinders steering gear I might replace the seals then just to give it new life one less thing to worry about going wrong. But we won't know until we pull it off eh.