favorite rack

Guest devinl

looking for a roof-mounted rack system. would like to have options for various eq (i.e. a bike and gear or a kayak and a bike, etc) - just wondering if anyone out there has any comments (positive/negative) or ideas on a rack system for the '97 pathy that has factory rack installed.

whats your favorite rack?

thanks.

-d

Yakima has been my favorite for a long time, but Thule is pretty much equivalent. The design philosophy differs in that Yaks use round crossbars and Thule square; they are pretty similar in price and quality.

The way the yakima slides in the factory rail is really nice, totally adjustable, and allows multiple racks because they come off with a quick release lever. I have 2 set-ups, one is 2 crossbars, bike trays and a basketcase which stays on year round. The other is a set-up for our kayaks, which I mount during kayak season, at the far ends of the rail tracks (sea kayaks are looonng beasts) The 'foot' pieces stay in place year round. I suspect Thule has a very similar system, but I've never owned one.

I also have a yakima bike rack for the reciever hitch, for those expeditions that include bikes and boats.

For an expedition level basket, Yakima and Thule make a few, so do companies like Con-Fer. I don't have a monster basket, for those trips I just bolt on a 4x6 piece of 1/2 inch plywood which makes an upper deck you can lash all sorts of gear to, or stand/sleep on.

YAKIMA YAKIMA YAKIMA! there is nothing more to discuss. Much better quality and more versatile than Thule. I carry bikes up to five at a time, snowboards, surfboards, backpacks, spare tire, drunks, etc. with no problems whatsoever. I love it. I've got all my specs on my cardomain page if ya wanna check it out. Theres a link in my profile. Good luck.

Hey thanks for the advice.

I'd almost for gotten that all important cargo feature: strapping on drunks.

Thanks for reminding me..

-d ;)

Lindsey Lohan.

Oh, sorry. I was replying to your topic title and got confused. :P

:clap:

I was thinking something along the same lines..........

Great (or is that sick) minds think alike!!!! :beer: