Extra battery connections in the cabin.

My future plans require a few extra battery connections. One at a time, but I figure do the job once and make it easier for future add-ons.

Backup camera unit (pictures will be on my thread...probably tomorrow), dual battery system monitor, eventually lighting going to the future roof rack, etc.

What's the best way to tap off the battery?

I'm considering ditching the stock accessory outlet and running direct 12V fused from the battery and inserting multiple taps from that location. Dual accessory outlet being one of them (gps and cell charger). I'm also going to run a dual accessory outlet to the rear, but will probably be a direct line fused from the battery...unless I do the tap in the dash and I can just tee off from there....sort of like a terminal board.

Suggestions? Tips? Am I forgetting anything? Fridge? :)

Should I use a "Painless Kit"? http://www.jegs.com/i/Painless/764/70107/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710738229&catargetid=1784156489&cadevice=c&&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CLCMvqGtv7oCFRGi4AodoxoAiQ

Also, my rear camera requires direct power inside the lift gate, but I think I can just tap off existing wiring....

I have a Rig Runner inside, 40 amps, direct to battery, constant on. My ARB fridge runs of a ciggy lighter socket that used to power the stock amp, works fine. The fridge only use .8 of an amp so no worries.

Will you post up pics of the RigRunner setup? I'm pulling the trigger on it.

I figure with the USB connections and factory fused, it bridges the gap of cost. Over $100 is free shipping so I'm getting the connectors and some power cable from them as well. Great price for the power cable too!

You could use one of those car audio fused distribution blocks, just run what ever size positive to the distribution block and than tap off of it for what ever you need to run, something like one of these:

this one happens to handle positive and negative do not think this particular one is available anymore though:

2e6euwz.jpg

You could use one of those car audio fused distribution blocks, just run what ever size positive to the distribution block and than tap off of it for what ever you need to run, something like one of these:

Looks like the audio blocks are larger gauge wiring. I don't see a need more than 12ga. I'm looking at continuous power.

Many only have 2 connections also. I assume running from an amplifier to a speaker. Thanks for bringing up the option, though. :)

I was going to run something along these lines, But that street wires distro block is SO CLEAN, but if its tucked away, :whocares:

ATCfusedist_med.jpg

This guy has tons of stuff like these, check out the relay section, things of beauty!!

http://www.ceautoelectricsupply.com/Website%20Images/ATCfusedist_med.jpg

RelayCenter_med.jpg

DodgePanel_med.jpg

CodysPanel_med.jpg

• Like 1

I ordered both the Tmax dual-battery control unit and the USB RIGrunner unit....along with connectors and power wire.

Looks like they won't arrive til Monday or Tuesday. :(

I was hoping they would arrive by Friday or Saturday so I could install this weekend. I plan to build my dual battery tray this weekend, so I'll be ready for them.

• Like 1

Would you at all be interested in do a write up or some pictures of you setup? I'm looking at doing a rear battery relocation with an eventual dual battery mod, and seeing an example would greatly motivate me.

Wish you well with the mods!

-Kyle

I will be taking pics during the install.

Looks like the RIGrunner will be here on Monday...the Tmax system on Tuesday.

I was hoping to install this weekend, since I have a trip planned for next weekend...so not sure I will even start the install yet. It's dark by the time I get home from work. :/

I will take pics when I build the dual battery tray and take some measurements too. My plan is to use 1" angle iron and some flat stock. The trays, such as the one in the following pic, are $25 each. I figure the metal shouldn't be more than $20 total.

Here's the pics that I dragged from the internet a few weeks ago. ...don't remember where I got them.

2battery1_zps817ca599.jpg

2battery2_zpsfbad4355.jpg

2battery3_zps3ea06df7.jpg

• Like 1

Those relay panels are very nice, now if someone wanted to install one of those under the hood, I would mount it inside a Tupperware bowl, than snap the lid on and an airtight, water proof, relay station !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...