Double-Din Navi in Square Dash WD21?

xterra

I've looked for any information on this, and as far as I can tell I'm the only person on the planet loco enough to even consider this idea. My truck is going to become my daily driver as soon as I get a couple mechanical issues resolved over the holidays. After that, it's onto the fun stuff. :D

One of the things I'm considering is to add in-dash Navi to a truck that was never made for it.

My first question is if the AC controls can be relocated with relative ease?

AC-Radio-Swap11.png

The wiring harness looks to have enough slack, but I'm not sure about the "snorkel" for the temperature sensor. The FSM isn't of much help here.

I'm hoping to end up with something like this:

AC-Radio-Swap21.png

I know that I'll have to fabricate the bezel (or frankenstein something together). I have a half-down trim bezels I've collected from the local self-serve junk yards, so I have plenty experiment with.

And I know that I'll have to cut a couple horizontal metal supports located behind the trim. Do they actually provide any structural support, or is it just over-engineered to keep the dash from sagging?

The reason for the Navi on top is so that it's more accessible and easier to see without having to look all that far down.

So, is this just crazy talk? :crazy: Someone talk me off the ledge.

Your not the only one ;)

There is a pic out there of someone having done somethinng similar, but I think the screen is below.

And I have actually been planning somethinng similar for a couple of years now. I have almost everything I need to do it, still need a few things but time is the highest on the list.

In my plan however I want the screen below. Sorry I can't help on moving the enviro control down as we have two different styles, perhaps someone who has done work in the dash of later (w)d21's will chime in.

94-95 round dashes have a spot for a Dual DIN :)

Afaik, the controls on the back of the heater won't reach. i couldn't even pull the auto climate out without unplugging everything.

And the manual controls have "arms" that connect to the back. not sure how one would move those.

I know it's not a place you'll find a lot of members from here but maby a reflector collector mini-truckin forum might have a little more help on moving stuff like that. A lot of those men/women are more involved with stuff along that line and could maby give some better pointers :shrug: (I know not helpful but maby a way to get useful info)

Thank you all for the feedback. I've got some time since the fabrication of the bezel is going to be the time consuming part.

Red- Thanks for confirming I'm not certifiable - at least not about this. I've thought about the screen below, but honestly I think that's just too low to be that useful. That's where I may end up, but it's not my preference going in. (I also just installed a single DIN lower assembly under the factory radio that I pulled from a 1993 donor, put added two USB power ports for charging cell phones, etc. I'll try to get pix up next week.)

Kyle- I pulled a spare auto climate out of a unit from a JY since my #3 fan speed doesn't work. When I did that, I looked at the wire routing, and it came up from below. Like you said, It was a tight squeeze getting it unplugged from the harness. But since it's coming up from behind the glove box, I think I can make it fit. I'll need to spend more time with the JY unit where I don't have to be too worried about screwing something up. No mechanical connections, thankfully.

5523- I just installed an inclinometer a couple weekends ago. I had thought of doing that, but all of the flip-up single DIN navi systems are too deep to fit in the inclinometer housing. (Plus I like knowing just how cattywampus the truck is, so I don't want to lose the inclinometer... :-) ). I really want everything integrated into a single head unit. I'm looking at units that let me combine navi, iPod, and backup camera. A couple will even integrate with their own TPMS systems, although I'm not sure what good those really are.

Nunya- I'll look into that and see what I can find. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ex Brit- I agree it might be easier, but not too sure on functionality. To have to take my eyes off the road to know where I'm going seems weird... :-)

Thank you all for the feedback. I've got some time since the fabrication of the bezel is going to be the time consuming part.

Ex Brit- I agree it might be easier, but not too sure on functionality. To have to take my eyes off the road to know where I'm going seems weird... :-)

Just have the gps her/him yell directions to you in that annoying robot voice & then you won't have to look at the screen :laugh: