My new 99 pathfinder - changing diff fluid / 4 low not working

2ndgensi

Hey guys,

Brand new to this forum as well as owning a truck. I just bought a 1999 Nissan Pathfiner 4x4 Auto LSD. The truck has 240k and seems to run prety awesome and be all around in good shape. There is only a tiny bit of rust on one of the fenders as well as a cracked passenger mirror. Last week I changed all of the sway bar end links and monts which helped almost eliminate any clunking I was having. I was very pleased with this as a result as it was definitely causing me some concern.

The only issue I found with this thing is that the 4 low doesn't seem to engage :( I have tried putting the truck in neutral going into 4 high *which seems to work just fine* bit when I go into 4 low it simply doesn't engage. I know I am in 4 low because I push down on the shifter and pull back, it slides right in. When I go into 4 low the green little 4x4 dash indicator light also turns off. If I am in drive and am in 4 low the truck simply just revs if I try and go anywhere. If I try to go back into 4 high from 4 low you can here my tranfer case grinding Yikes! The only thing I can do to get the vehicle back out of 4 low is to shut the vehicle completely off and then slide the shifter back into 4 high or 2 high. I was wondering if there was any possible chance I might be doing something wrong *Highly doubt it* or if the 4 low is f*cked??

I am also just about to change the diff fluid an was wondering if 3L of the gear oil in the picture below is the right stuff. I wasn't sure because my pathy has a LSD.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

6A45F3C0-FCE6-4F1C-9948-9BF6EB8FF5B2-517

Lucas makes mediocre products. Is there an Advance Auto Parts close by? You can get 5 quarts (3 for rear, 2 for front - you'll want to change the front as well) of Mobil 1 75W-90 LSD-compatible for a little over $30 if you order online using discount codes and pick-up in store.

I am unfamiliar with shifting 4WD, sorry. You should consider changing out the transfer case fluid as well. Valvoline MaxLife ATF would be a good option. AAP discount codes do not apply to ATF unfortunately.

Edited by Towncivilian

Lucas makes mediocre products. Is there an Advance Auto Parts close by? You can get 5 quarts (3 for rear, 2 for front - you'll want to change the front as well) of Mobil 1 75W-90 LSD-compatible for a little over $30 if you order online using discount codes and pick-up in store.

I am unfamiliar with shifting 4WD, sorry. You should consider changing out the transfer case fluid as well. Valvoline MaxLife ATF would be a good option. AAP discount codes do not apply to ATF unfortunately.

Thanks but I don't live in America I live in Canada and would muh rather just grab something from one of the parts stores in my city. Anyone's else on what's going on with my 4 low or suggestions for fluids?

Thanks guys

Make sure that the diff fluid you get says it's LSD compatible. From what I've heard, non-LSD oils make the clutches lock up. If you already bought regular oil, you can buy the friction modifier additive separately and mix them.

You should be able to shift between 2H and 4H in any gear, but you're right to put it in neutral when you go to and from low range. You said you push down on the shifter and pull back. When you pull the stick all the way back, does it pop up and lock? When you go to put it back in normal range, you should have to push it down again before it'll go forwards. If the stick isn't going far enough back to lock, then there might be something fouling the shifter or the linkage it connects to. I'd check for sticks or other crud underneath, check the joints in the linkage for excessive play, and if all that checks out, then see if the rubber boot for the shifter is getting bunched up between the stick and the hole in the floor.

I seem to remember someone saying that theirs would only go into low range if the engine wasn't running. I'm not sure why this would be, but it's something to try.

If it is locking in and 4LO still isn't engaging, then I don't know what to tell you. I can only remember reading about one failed transfer case on here, and that was because the guy forgot to put oil in it. I'd still check the linkage to make sure it was working right before assuming that the internals are knackered.

the grinding transfer case was me. if I try and shift into 4lo with the engine running it grinds. so I shut the truck off shift into 4lo and the restart the engine. works fine from then on. to shift back into 4hi or 2hi I have to turn off the truck first. My thought is that the PO messed up the syncro mechanism ( you know the thing that gets everything spinning at the same speed) but it hasn't damaged the teeth on the gears enough to stop it from working.

My thought is that if you are in a selected gear and nothing is working when you press the right pedal that gear is stripped...though I am not a transmission tech.

Just my 2 cents.

I know I am in 4 low because I push down on the shifter and pull back, it slides right in. When I go into 4 low the green little 4x4 dash indicator light also turns off.

This makes me think that it is not fully engaging.

You said you push down on the shifter and pull back. When you pull the stick all the way back, does it pop up and lock? When you go to put it back in normal range, you should have to push it down again before it'll go forwards. If the stick isn't going far enough back to lock, then there might be something fouling the shifter or the linkage it connects to. I'd check for sticks or other crud underneath, check the joints in the linkage for excessive play, and if all that checks out, then see if the rubber boot for the shifter is getting bunched up between the stick and the hole in the floor.

Exactly where I would start, good post. :aok:

You should be able to see the linkage from the drivers side, but you might need someone else to move the shifter while you watch unless you have monkey arms.

Also, I recommend you go to the pinned FSM thread in the Garage section to download your free copy of the Factory Service Manual. This with have all the fluid recommendations and quantities.

Welcome to NPORA and congrats on your pathy!

Don't worry, we'll get you sorted out, but for future reference, this section is mainly for meet and greet so it doesn't as much traffic as the technical sections so is not ideal for trouble shooting.

B

Hey thank you guys so much for all your replies. It would seem to me that when I put it into 4 low it goes right in. I don't feel like anything is infringing on the gear being able to shift properly. Yes when I I to shift back into 4 high I push the gear down as well as push forward. It doesn't seem to matter which way I try it just makes a terrible grinding noise. Like I said I have to shut the vehicle right down and then shift back. I find it a little strange that my little 4x4 indicator light comes on when it's in 4 high but not in 4 low... This is a little strange I feel like because even if there was something f*cked in the gear; one would think it would at least recognize the position of the gear and display the little 4x4 light. Maybe.. Maybe not...

I haven't actually tried turning the truck right off and starting it up in 4 low. As for the stuff you guys are talking about, like the linkage ect.. I have never owned a 4X4 before and wouldn't know where to start. I feel like makin a YouTube video and posting it so you guys can get a sense of what I am dealing with.

are you sure your going into 4low and not neutral? Neutral is between 4Hi and 4Low - and obviously when your in it you get no propulsion, and the 4WD light goes out.....

Really crank that shifter down and see if you get the 4WD light to come back on. its further down there then you think. THEN pull the shifter out to lock.

Mike

Edited by Inyourface1650
  • Like 1

are you sure your going into 4low and not neutral? Neutral is between 4Hi and 4Low - and obviously when your in it you get no propulsion, and the 4WD light goes out.....

Really crank that shifter down and see if you get the 4WD light to come back on. its further down there then you think. THEN pull the shifter out to lock.

Mike

All I have to say to you is that you are truly the man!! I did not realize I was going into nuteral and as soon as I saw your post I tried what you told me to do and presto!!! Shifted right down into 4low :) The only thing I did notice however is that it slightly grinds going in. I suppose I could just @!*% the vehicle off and switch it in. Haven't exactly tried yet but I was thinking maybe the fluid in the transfer case needs to be changed. Not exactly sure, was wondering what you thought... I can also shift from 4 low back into 4 high or 2 low no problem.

Thank you so much bro you made my day!!!!

Mike

All I have to say to you is that you are truly the man!! I did not realize I was going into nuteral and as soon as I saw your post I tried what you told me to do and presto!!! Shifted right down into 4low :) The only thing I did notice however is that it slightly grinds going in. I suppose I could just shift the vehicle off and switch it in. Haven't exactly tried yet but I was thinking maybe the fluid in the transfer case needs to be changed. Not exactly sure, was wondering what you thought... I can also shift from 4 low back into 4 high or 2 high no problem.

Thank you so much bro you made my day!!!!

That's the way they are. They all grind some going into 4 low. One trick is if your able to let the truck roll very slightly while transmission and transfer case in neutral, then slid into 4 low.

Id have to look at my cheat sheet on the visor if you need to put the transmission back into neutral before 4 high again.

Sent from my Moto X!

You should be in Neutral or Park on the transmission before shifting the tranfer into 4-low. 4 Low is not synchro'd so yes it will grind if you try it with the main transmission in drive(Transfer case input will spin up as you pass through 4hi -> neutral ->4lo).

Flip down your driver side sun visor - there should be instructions (There are on WD21 anyway)

You should be in Neutral or Park on the transmission before shifting the tranfer into 4-low. 4 Low is not synchro'd so yes it will grind if you try it with the main transmission in drive(Transfer case input will spin up as you pass through 4hi -> neutral ->4lo).

Flip down your driver side sun visor - there should be instructions (There are on WD21 anyway)

I am in nutral when I go into 4low always, it still wants to grind a bit.