Newbie With a Mystery wire

urimashe

First off, I am new here. This is my first post, but this site has been very helpful. Wish I had known about the forums back when I had my 88 pathfinder. But that is in the past, I now have a 95 Pathy that the previouse owner, by the looks of it, bought from and auction, his Idea was to offroad it tell it fell apart, Which he almost did untell he passed away and his mom sold me the car, his brother filled me in on the offroading.

Anyways, not to much damage other then replacement of the shocks, will have to replace ball joints and tension the torsion bars.

I fixed the power locks, installed a new center dash bezel, fixed the cup holder, found new panel doors for in the rear hatch area that where missing, Fixed the EGR BPT valve, Undid the previous owners vaccum line fail, Added a bungie cord to the battery, And probly a few other things I cant remember.

Now to the stuff im working on, First off, trying to figure out where this wire went, Will post a pic so you guys can help me. Second, The washer fluid motors don't work, both of them, don't know if its the switch on the column or the motors are bad or if there is a relay for both of them, the fuse is good, and the wires seam to be there. haven't been able to check under the dash. Need to Fix a Bouncing/dead tach. And replace some exsaust manifold studs, Which btw can someone fill me in where on the stud they usualy break? I am not looking forward to having to tap out the stud.

About my pathfinder since I forgot to ad the info, It is a 95 xe manual, blue, cloth interior, With 31's no lift, I realy wana go back down to stock tire size.

I am from Alaska but I am currently attending school in Arizona, this is my fourth owned car/truck, second one I currently own, and is my current DD.

Here is the wire I am trying to find out where it goes, its confusing me and I know it probly goes to something important, (maybe the washer fluid motors?)

20131011_225030_zps7910a908.jpg

Also I have this plug behind the battery, there is 2 of them, one is hooked up, this one was just laying there. Its the grey one sitting under the black one.

20131011_225047_zps009caa9e.jpg

These are the 2 things im dying to know right now, also that blue relay that's sitting down there on the wheel well. The metal tabs on the relays, are they suppose to be hooked up cuase there a ground? or are they not a ground for the relay?

I can't tell ya right off but if you go the the Garage forum you can find the FSM for your Pathy and there is a wiring schematic in there which will help a lot.

Welcome to the forums and good luck!

Now to post my own adventure.......

Welcome to NPORA !!

The washer pumps are a pretty common item to fail even both at the same time, you can remove the washer jug, than remove the pumps, there are 3 screws that hold the bottom cover on, take the screws out and remove the cover carefully, inside is an impeller on a metal shaft, sometimes the shaft will get crudded up and not turn, you can try to turn it with a small pliers, after you free it up if it was stuck it will probably work.

Have a test light? Connect the probe (pointy end) of the test light in the plug going to the washer pump and have someone turn the washer pump swiitch on and hold it, than see if the test light lights up, if it doesn't try the other wire in the plug, there are only two wires to the washer pump motors, make sure to ground the other end of the test light.

Also have someone hold the wiper washer switch as you listen under the hood they may be working but there may be a blockage in the line, if you hear the pump working you can use an air hose to blow air through the line, low pressure only !!

The wire near the firewall looks like it may have been for a alarm pin switch possibly, does it appear to go into a factory harness? or is it just following the factory harness?

The grey plug behind the battery may be for something if your truck had an automatic trans, Nissan usually will only make one harness with all the connectors for manual/auto trans so you will have un-used plugs,

The blue relay could be the relay for the cruise control if your truck has it, the relays are normally attached to the inner fender, and the metal clip on it is where it would normally be attached to what ever it was attached to, it is not for a ground.

Edited by ahardb0dy

definitely a switch for the alarm, I recently took mine out, and left mine hanging just like that lol. although it is supposed to have a little switch on the top not just a bolt in there.

Edited by mfoley412

I am pretty sure the fuse holder is for the alarm too(I ripped some out when I took my alarm out), that blue relay or whatever it is should be up on the inside fender by the battery, and the grey one should be attached, as it is in my car(not exactly sure what it is for off the top of my head though)...

relay_zps0665628c.jpg

grey_zpsd52e08f4.jpg

So first picture is the relay, second is the grey connector which is connected into the main positive battery wire do you have anything coming out of the main + battery wire that is not hooked up?

Edited by mfoley412

here are most of the plugs on the pass side, I just labeled them, (I know too much time on my hands, taking a break from a chore in the house, LOL) :

9issv8.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy
  • Like 1

relay_zps0665628c.jpg

grey_zpsd52e08f4.jpg

So first picture is the relay, second is the grey connector which is connected into the main positive battery wire do you have anything coming out of the main + battery wire that is not hooked up?

The thing about the grey plugs, I thank you all for the posts, they have been most helpful, The grey plug is one of Two plugs, The first one is connected, the second one is not.

nope, don't have a power antennae lol, That might be what is for hmm? thanks again for all the help, Right now im trying to make these speaker spacers so I can put in the rear speakers, the previous owner tore out the speakers back there for some reason.... think he was crazy.

I Have new gaskets and studs for my exhaust manifold, does anyone know where they usually snap at? inside the block or outside of the block? I hope outside cuz I don't want to have to drill and tap out the bolt

Your welcome !!

Can't answer about the exhaust studs, they could break sticking out of the head or recessed in the head, on my old 87 hardbody I used to have i had a few broken studs and a friend did 2 of them for me through the wheel well, didn't even take the tire off, the truck had a 3" body lift but it only took him like 20 minutes start to finish, I guess some broken studs can be easier to get out depending on which one is broke. Just take your time, lube the broken one really well and if you need to drill any out try to drill straight and you should be fine.

Sorry can't help with the bouncy tach.

• 2 weeks later...

As said before, the brown wire is for the factory alarm hood switch. The blue relay is the starter relay(only found on manual trans) and the grey plug looks a bit like the one that went to the factory adjustable shocks that are on the SE model. The relay is simply hung on the fender to keep it from flopping around.

• Like 1