Door lock question

ahardb0dy

So as most of you probably know I replaced some carpet in my 94 PF yesterday and also removed the factory alarm. I put everything back to how it would be if the alarm had never been installed.

Today I unlocked the truck with the key and am also able to unlock all the doors by turning the key back and to unlock again, But when I am in the truck and try to lock or unlock the doors from the master switch I get nothing. If I press the lock button (near the window) down all the doors will lock like they are supposed too.

I did mention there was a wire coming from the alarm brain just behind the remote fuel door opening lever that was tied into a wire in the main harness, the alarm wire was grey and it was connected usin a scotch lok type connector to a red/black wire. I cut the scotch lok connector out and tied the two halves of the red/black wire together.

I found the instructions for the factory alarm installation and the chart lists a grey wire from the alarm tying into a red/black wire that goes to the door switch.

I'm wondering if there could be a problem with this wire? It seems like the door lock timer is working as I can unlock all the doors from the outside with the key.

What do you think? I haven't pulled the trim to check this wire yet.

Not getting anything at the wire harness for the master switch, tried jumpng wires and nothing for the locks, the windows all work fine, going to storage to grab another master switch to see if it does the smae thing.

Well I tried two other switches I had, none of them worked the power locks, I even took one completely apart down to the circuit board and pushed on the copper levers and still got nothing, I don't know if it a door lock timer issue or I somehow lost power to the master switch for the lock section.

The locks still will all lock from the window button (near the glass) and the locks will unlock and lock from outside with the key as they should.

Back to the wiring diagram to see if I can find something else to check.

Struck out again !!! Was following the wiring diagram and it shows the power going throught he "key in switch" I thought this may have been my problem as when I had the steering column cover off I remembered seeing a small plug that is not connected to anything, just went outside with my flashlight and pulled the lower column cover off and the "key in switch" is plugged in.

Most likely it is the door lock timer and it's just a coincidence that it is acting up at the same time that I removed all the factory alarm wiring, but as I said the locks do work especially with the key, wish I had another door lock timer to swap in, next junkyard trip I will be pulling a few !!!

Until than I'm looking over the wiring diagram

I have the diagrams from the install kit at home. I will try to remember to look at it this evening.

IIRC there was a jumper between the door locks and the timer that was put in when installing the alarm system that is now not connected to anything...giving you the problem you have now.

The install guide is pinned in the garage section, any connections for the alarm that were not plugs, (scotch lok connections) I have put back to stock. There were 3, 2 under the steering column, one to the horn wire and one to the parking light wire I believe , the third wire connects to the door switch just rear of the fuel door release handle.

Please post what ever you can I'm stumped so far with this.

Thanks Rob appreciate it !!!

today I eliminated the switch as being the problem for my door locks not working, using the FSM I checked for continuity when moving the lock button to "lock" or "unlock" and I got continuity both ways so the switch is working.

Also pulled the door lock timer and re-soldered the remaining solder connections that I did not do the first two times,

Didn't make a difference !! Still does not work.

This weekend I plan on pulling the drivers seat again to get to the wire I re-connected together that the alarm wire was tyed into to see if that makes a difference. May also make another junkyard run and grab some door lock timers.

FIXED !!!! FIGURED IT OUT A FEW MINUTES AGO!!! FINALLY !!!

After all the head aches it turned out it was my fault, a plug that I did not re-connect when I removed the factory alarm, I saw a plug (male) hanging up under the dash when I removed the lower dash cover and I started to look around for a female plug that matched it, found one, plugged the two together and tried the locks, and they worked !!!

So glad now !!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I have a quirey. Just picked up my 91 SE a month ago and I'm going through... LOTS of things. My door locks work fine inside the buggy, but when I close the door it unlocks everything, and I cant get it to lock with the key. Like something is preventing the key from turning. Also (I don't know if it's related, but) the dome light wont go out with door closure. No alarm sys that I am aware of. I would appriciate Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks.

Sounds like two different issues, the doors unlocking when you close the door could be a problem with the dome light switch at the base of the door frame, possibly the wire is not making good contact on the rear of the switch, and when you close the door it breaks the circuit, I would remove the one Phillips screw that holds the switch into the body and look at the connection.

The key not turning would be separate issue, I would pull the door panel and the vapor barrier ( plastic under the door panel) and take a look at the lock cylinder inside the door, make sur ethe window is fully up so you can get to the lock, have someone try to turn the key and see what is going on inside the door.

Is the key worn to the point where it just isn't unlocking/locking the door? do You have a second key you can try? Does the key work in any of the other locks?