Ignition Problem Help??

Guest Danny

Going to fire up the truck sometimes i can't turn the key over. I have to work at before it finally decides to turn. It doesn't happen every time maybe 1 out of 3. What kind of problem am i looking at. Expensive to fix?? My truck is a 1992 Pathfinder. Any help would be great. Thanks Dan

Do you mean the key won't move in the ignition? The key or ignition lock tumblers are probably worn down. Try getting a new key made. If that doesn't help replace the ignition cylinder. Neither cost too much and are fairly simple to do.

Do you mean the key won't move in the ignition? The key or ignition lock tumblers are probably worn down. Try getting a new key made. If that doesn't help replace the ignition cylinder. Neither cost too much and are fairly simple to do.

Oh, if that's what he means then the key and cylinder might both be warn out. Mine acts funny sometimes also, but if I pull the key out and flip it over it usually works fine... :shrug:

Definitely sounds like a key/tumbler problem. Look at the key down a light, viewing the reflection. Is it slightly bent ??? try to straighten it... I have keys to a bike where one set is a little bent and doesnt like to work where the other is fine. Imagine a key shaft with grooves that is bent, then try to turn it 90 degrees... The pattern is the same, but with a different end point, either higher or lower; tumblers dont like that. Straighten the key first, and if that doesn't work, then it is probably a wear issue and needs to be replaced.

Bernard