Moog / 555 tie rods

3rdtimesacharm

Got my hands on a Moog DS-2386 (tie rod assembly) and a Moog ES-3002 (single outter rod). Both came in official sealed moog boxes but the assembly is actually a 555 product. From what I gather moog outsource some things to Three 5s (made in Japan) and get them to manufacture to their moogy standards.

Comparing the two is vaguely interesting ! The moog has a remarkably smoother movement where as the 555 is definitely rough and almost binding. The moog also uses a nyloc rather than castle nut and is without greasy nips.

The 555 has a rubber nubbin on each boot for old grease to come out of as you gun it in. Saying that, they dont actually have nipples but a screw on the underside. Plus they come with castle nuts + pins. With the rough movement I think it'll need greasing pretty often.

If anyones curious I could take pics.. they're getting fitted on the truck tomorrow though :blah:

Interesting. I had 3 Moog 555 TRE's and one non 555 (Rock auto strikes again) and I actually had better luck with the 555's. In fact the non 555 boot ripped early in its life, and I could never get a zerk to thread in properly so I just left the little bolt in.<br /><br />And I'd much rather have a castle nut than nyloc. Probably my dads horror stories.

Edited by Trogdor636

.. In fact the non 555 boot ripped early in its life..

Reading that I gave them a fondle and I'd hazzard a guess the 555 boot used a thinner rubber, but without cutting them open I wouldnt stake my life on it.

When I do the 2wd steering swap I'll use the nylocs as easy fit spares and get some me castelation. I wonder if moogs heavy duty (problem solver?) tie rods use nylocs..

When I bought a moog drag link it was a 555 same with tie rods. Upon returning some parts for warranty they gave me TRW brand and said it would still be warrantied. I was kinda surprised to see 555 on those as well. Never had a problem with quality. I was off-road a lot at the time so the drag links would wear out yearly lol.

greasy nips.

I'm here for the greasy nips!

I could generally care less about the name on the box (you can get a good look at a steak sticking your head up a bulls azz...) but I MUST have provisions for zerks fittings on them. The love of lube gets me plenty of miles out of my steering components.