Best place for oil accessories (sandwich plates, relocation, etc)

ferrariowner123

Hey guys I'm looking at trying to get a relocation kit possibly for the pathfinder, but definitely for a friend of mine with the pathy that gets oil all over over the started and has burned one starter already and doesn't want to do it again. (I know there are other options but he wants to relocate it).

I've looked at summit and all I can seem to find is kits, I'd much rather build my own kit.

So does anyone know of a good place to get accessories? He wants to add a pressure and temp gauge so I'm looking for a plate that will have those threaded holes the AN fittings on the sandwich plate and the receiving plate for the filter. I can get AN fittings and line, just looking for a good place for the plates.

-Kyle

You can use a regular oil filter adapter, and on the "out" port add a short nipple and a "tee" to install the oil temp sender, for oil pressure I would use the port where the stock oil pressure sender is, I prefer mechanical gauges and that is how I did the oil pressure gauge on my sentra.

I know some on here prefer the electric gauges but that is just preference.

If you use one of those "sandwich" adapters, the kind used to add a external oil cooler but keep the stock filter location, I don't know if it would be a good idea to use the "sandwich" adapter with a oil filter adapter.

I would look for a normal spin on oil filter adapter, run your oil lines to the oil filter mount and look for a filter mount that has the 4 ports on it, than use one of the ports for the oil temp gauge sender.

Summit Racing, Jegs, E-bay as well as numerous other places sell the parts needed individually.

the filter adapter and mount use a 3/4/16 thread and I wouldn't use smaller than a 1/2" port.

For the filter mount you can use (this is from Summit Racing), Perma cool part number 1791. Wix part number 24764, Earls part number 2277ERL, These run from $28.35 to $65.97 and are all single filter mounts.

For the sandwich adapter you can use (again from Summit Racing), Hayden part number 205, Earls part number 510ERL, Perma-Cool 181, Flex-a-lite part number 3961. Trans-Dapt part number 1313, and so on, some of these have 1/2" ports some have 3/8" ports.

For the oil filter adapter (from Summit Racing again), Trans-Dapt part number 1016, Perma Cool part number 111, Perma cool part number 2791 (4 ports), Trans-Dapt part number 1413 (4 ports), Derale Cooling part number 15703, and so on.

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 1 year later...

I used the Hayden relocating kit. I put it next to the fuel filter. It uses the Ford PH8 filter. There is a thread specific to oil filter relocation. Some pics there also.

I have purchased parts from several locations with good results. Basically the same info as ahardbody.

Ebay has a bunch of quality parts. Most of the time the aluminum stuff that is generally sold to the "import tuner" market is great. I have utilized several of these parts including water temp sensor adapters, BOV adapters, intercooler piping, and a sandwich plate I won for for $0.99 shipped

Summit is excellent as well. Very fast shipping, and they have top notch customer service. I bought 5 wheels (based off of Precise1's recommendation) from them and it was like BAM they were at my door. Kinda like Amazon Prime.

Jegs is good as well...same as above.

On another note...

Okay so I installed a Summit relocation kit yesterday...it was $49 and is pretty solid. A complete kit that only requires you to do the labor.

The only issue I have with it is the relocation plate that goes to the block. I utilized teflon tape, and installed the NPT connectors, tightened them to the point where I was like "man I am going to break this."

And they leaked. From around the threads, under pressure...they leaked!

I took the assembly back apart and totally went on faith, and tightened the crap out of the connectors...As of right now they are not leaking...but I have not run it down the road yet. Simply let it idle.

Not to thread jack...just my experience.

Oh yea, and for those of you who will be running electric sending units for your oil pressure...unless the relo kit has the bungs at an angle away from the block you probably won't be able to use it.

The Autometer unit I just installed (in place of the factory idiot light) is pretty big, and had I tried to run the $0.99 sandwich plate I would not have had enough space between the block and the plate to clear the sending unit.

Okay so I installed a Summit relocation kit yesterday...it was $49 and is pretty solid. A complete kit that only requires you to do the labor.

The only issue I have with it is the relocation plate that goes to the block. I utilized teflon tape, and installed the NPT connectors, tightened them to the point where I was like "man I am going to break this."

And they leaked. From around the threads, under pressure...they leaked!

I took the assembly back apart and totally went on faith, and tightened the crap out of the connectors...As of right now they are not leaking...but I have not run it down the road yet. Simply let it idle.

Not to thread jack...just my experience.

Are those fittings the swivel type? If so, they are garbage and are probably what is leaking. A few other members have had the same problem, and once we switched to solid, barbed fittings, no leaks...

Be careful though, a friend of mine just rebuilt his top end because of an oil leak from his relocation adapter. On his, the o-ring shrunk/degraded enough to permit blowby and he didn't see it until galling/spalling occurred on the lifters.

B

No they are the barb fittings...they were simply not tight enough in the relo plate. I am pretty excited about the oil pressure gauge...and am (not entirely) hoping to prevent any issues by being able to monitor...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

OK.

Agreed, he just had an oil filter relocate kit in, not an oil pressure gauge. He does now... :whistle:

If you watch the gauge, it'll do it's job. Same with a volt meter, I've had it tell me the alt wasn't charging after I had an oil change done and the tech twit pulled the connector 1/2 way out of the alt. Kept me from being stranded...

Funny part was, I was back in 20 minutes and told the owner what happened (on the side, didn't want anything, just giving a heads up to be more careful). He denied left and right, so my voice started to carry, talking about how if my truck wasn't equipped with a meter, or it was a person who didn't know mechanics they'd be stranded, etc. The 1/2 dozen people in the lobby heard it, so I figured my job was done. 6 months later, that shop was gone, so maybe I was right. :shrug:

Yeah, gauges. All vehicles should have them...

B

I love it when mech's act like they are the end of the line, and that nobody else can possibly know anything about the problem...

Obviously there are times when we all get stumped and need a second set of eyes to look at the situation and report back...but dang man, lose the arrogance!

And then to not admit when your wrong...come on.

Agreed. Gauges are important.