push guard

This isn't necessarily hardcore fab but I thought it should go here.

It is kind of a push guard. Nothing that will last longer than the rig itself. I placed it where I did because I didn't want to take it off if I had to get at the fog lights. I plan to get 2 4" driving lights and place them on the top bar.

I first used cardboard to get a basic shape of what fit the bumper. When I was happy with the piece I used 1/4" plywood and cut the template. I used the template to guide the plasma cutter. There are 3 bolts that mount the trim piece below the bumper. I ran a piece of metal across the 3 bolts and bolted it to the trim piece. You can see it in the picture. I ran a brace off that bar to where the tow hook mounts on both sides.

I'm a little pissed at myself. The bottom bar isn't level. I don't want to take a cut off wheel and re weld the thing so it will stay a little off. Oh well. I'm glad it was for me and not someone else. I still have to have the paint stripped off the bars. Then paint it. All things considered I think it turned out pretty good.

I used 3/16" plate. In material I only spent $25. Then it was my time to put it together.

I don' have the driving lights yet so until then I won't paint it because I don't know if I want to weld a tab onto the bar or mount directly to the bar.

photobucket-7200-1377482311318_zpsc1f9c2

• Like 1

I didn't want a 50lb piece of metal hanging off the front. I don't wheel the pathfinder so it is more of a glorified fog light bracket. I still need to reinforce the bumper some. Most people call brush guards a damage multiplier. That is why I wanted to keep it short and simple. When I get a side pic I will post it up.

It looks fine! First time you bump with it it'll settle in place anyway... :D

How about a side shot?

What type of metal did you put in the trim piece (lower valance I believe?)

B

The lower piece was the same 3/16" plate. The material I bought was not long enough so I welded 2 pieces together. I used the same 3/16" plate to go where the tow hook mounts. It is a brace that is mounted pretty well. I wanted to keep it simple. If you are not looking for it I doubt most people would notice.

Here is a side pic. If you measure off the center of the bumper the plate sticks out about 2 1/4" off the bumper.

photobucket-3740-1377557221663_zps5f68b5

• 2 weeks later...

I took the bumper off to reinforce it. I welded the cross bars to the brackets that bolt to the frame. You don't see it in the pic. It isn't a lot but compared to the flimsy bumper I think it will be sufficent.

photobucket-1975-1378511519826_zps495d3b

• 3 weeks later...

Anything is better than the stock bumpers sheet metal ornaments but that looks much more solid, maybe 3x. The mounts/bolts are probably the weak point now. :aok:

The lower piece was the same 3/16" plate. The material I bought was not long enough so I welded 2 pieces together. I used the same 3/16" plate to go where the tow hook mounts. It is a brace that is mounted pretty well. I wanted to keep it simple. If you are not looking for it I doubt most people would notice.

Here is a side pic. If you measure off the center of the bumper the plate sticks out about 2 1/4" off the bumper.

photobucket-3740-1377557221663_zps5f68b5

I like the understated/low profile look! Building a sleeper wheeler, eh? :D

B

I don't like being flashy with vehicles. The motorcycle is a different story. On the bike I want to be seen.

I didn't want some monstrosity looking like it was taking over the front end. Keep it simple and effective. Now I really need to finish up the bar and get it mounted before winter hits, just in case. It should give me a bit more of extra protection. I hope so anyway.

Once I have it painted and mounted I will post up a few pics. The pics will be without the led fog lights I want to get. I'm waiting for them to hopefully go on sale.

So I had some time and good weather to finish the bar and install it. I like the low profile of it. It's there but not obtrusive.

photobucket-6385-1380320807832_zps81c951

Edited by RF600

• 5 months later...