Changed Spark plugs then pathy donsent work?

XerOne

ok, this is what happened....

1. Bought some new plugs, Distrubutor wires.

2.Installed Plug's and wires.

3.Started pathy up and something wasnt right... she stuttered at start up and had a very noticable vibration.

4. Pulled all the wires, made sure they are were on right, hearing the "click" sound.

5.Started Pathy up, same problem...

6.Pulled out each wire and plug and made sure the gaps were correct, about .035.

7.Reseated everything, still same problem.

8. Pulled out all the wires and replaced them with the old ones.... still the same problem...

9.Replaced all the plugs with the old ones.... Still same problem...

10. Started to get really pissed cause I've now changed that 6th Plug like 4 times, wondering what the hells wrong, pulled all the wires out and put the new ones in...

11. Same Problem...

12. Checked if I had the wires going to the right plug.... found out 2 were out of wack, Quickly changed those...

13. Pathy roared to life....

14. Backing my pathy out of the drive way.... Pathy just stops, Electrical is still on, but I crank the engine and nothing..... crank some more 10 seconds later... she's back to life...

15. now I think to myself, wtf is wrong?

16. So I leave her in the drive way to idle for about 10 minutes to see if she's ok to try, I go back out and she's alive.

17. Put it in reverse and hold the brake to see what she does.. Dies....

18. Now she wont start. I've unhooked the battery for about 20 minutes and hooked it back on, same thing...

Did I do something wrong? I dont know much about cars, but I know the basic knownledge of fixing little things on them, I.e. not afraid to pick up a wrench and start reading. Anyways, if someone could help me diagnois the problem, I would be grateful. Thanks

'95 Pathfinder SE Auto 4x4 with no ECU code's...

Edited by XerOne

it seems like its loosing fuel, I just got it to start up and I was just pulling it into my garage when my back tires hit the little cement lip inbetween my garage and outside, the engine just cut out, but then I tried to start it again, it fought with me for a second but started up and I just backed in and out.... then it lost fuel in the garage, so im leaving it for now in the garage. :/

ummm... hopefully you didnt cause any detonation in the cylinder while having those two plugs hooked up incorrectly ... if you did, you could suffer from things liked cracked pistons, heads, rings or cylinder walls which would otherwise cause loss of power and compression ...

other than that ... I would just say go through things again, nice and slow, and just be sure that the wires are going to where they need to be...

also it might be a good idea to check out the distributor cap to see if there is any burning, which can cause a mis fire ... replace them if the are gouged ...

Sounds to me like either the fuel pump is going, or the pressure regulator is messed up. Idle doesn't use much fuel, but as soon as you put it in gear, and try to move, you use more gas, which is when it dies. I may be completely off -alcohol-, but that's what it sounds like to me.

Its the worst feeling when you do something simple then all the sudden the engine wont run. Sometime coincidences do happen but...

When you were removing wires, distributor, plugs you may have disconnected (or hit) an electrical connector and now its not making contact- always make sure you put back what you take apart. Also, could be when you did (if applicable) plug connectors back you may have pushed in a pin or disturbed a short waiting to happen (but you did say no ECU codes - ?).

Check all connectors (and vaccuum hoses) in vicinity of where you were working.

Check fuel pump operation

What the helk - change the fuel filter also

its at the bottom of my first post ;) , I get a 55 everytime ;) and i'm checking everything now, lot of wires I may have touched :unsure: and the truck hasent failed yet, I left it on for about 10 minutes, shifted into reverse and it almost lost its rpm's, but it got it back up... I'm tightening hoses, belts and whatnot.

Edited by XerOne

check fluids for mixing if you cracked anything... it could be fuel pump but my guess is something related to the first repair... like someone already said, maybe you knocked something loose. unplugged vac will give you similar symptoms... i'd check around the distributor because it being loose, cracked, worn will manifest itself in similar way too... changing fuel filter couldn't hurt and it's a 5 minute PITA 1 kind of job... could be injectors, especially if it's cold.... i can't remember what the gap is supposed to be, i know you mentioned checking it, but you should be close otherwise you'll get funky performance... could be MAF, or something like that too...

btw, ecu doesn't always kick a code out... most of the time but not always...

• 2 weeks later...

I havent been able to get to my truck for a while now, thank god I got another car to use, anyways, I was just messing with it and I looked up and saw a vaccum hose diagram just under the hood, I looked at it really fast and noticed a fuel pressure regulator hose in the back near the 6th cylinder and I remember unpluging that to make it a bit easily, well I go and check it, and one end of the hose will not come off at all, but the other end comes off easy and its got some cracking from the center out, but none of the cracks have reached the edge... yet... anyways, I'm gonna bet this might be my problem, my question now, is what sort of glue would I have to buy so this hose will not come off? I'm gonna bet it gets pretty hot back there, so normal super glue isnt gonna cut it.

Thanks.

P.S. I know the pic is blurry, but thats the best I could get sorry.

Edit: fix the pic size, please...800K is WAY WAY WAY TOO BIG

Edited by 88pathoffroad

what sort of glue would I have to buy so this hose will not come off?

Maybe Im reading your email slightly different than the last two replies; I believe you were asking how to ensure the hose remains attached; and offered the glue solution...

First off, yes buy a new hose, it should be tight enough not to be a problem

Secondly, if it seems this new hose may be loose, use a small hose clamp

Edited by dgly

what sort of glue would I have to buy so this hose will not come off?

Maybe Im reading your email slightly different than the last two replies; I believe you were asking how to ensure the hose remains attached; and offered the glue solution...

First off, yes buy a new hose, it should be tight enough not to be a problem

Secondly, if it seems this new hose may be loose, use a small hose clamp

Yeah, your right, thats what I was asking, I was thinking that some sort of glue held it on, but now I know, its just the hose, so I went over to napa today, bought a prepackaged 4 feet length of vaccum hose for $2.99... Cut/Rip the old hose off... Install the new hose, Start to car.... no problem......so I drive around on my street a little bit, no problem.... I pull out onto Highway 101 with plenty of room in case I stall out.... its going fine, I ease her up to 55mph... about a mile down the road I turn around.... then I just stomp on the pedal.... going 90-95mph, turn onto my street, and now I'm going to reinstall the spark plugs and the wires for a 4th time, lmao... Anyways, Thanks for the help guys, its funny, something so little can just screw the whole car up. But im happy now, I have my pathy back :takebow:;):P:DB):rolleyes::)P... sly WAVEY:beer: :cool2: :aok: :type: :laugh::lol::laugh:

Edited by XerOne