O2 sensor?

rwd5021

My 92 has a strange problem. Everytime I go through a decent amount of water/mud something gets splashed and it won't run correctly until it dries out. It seems like it's getting too much gas during this time. If I'm extremely light on the gas pedal it will run normal, but if I push it past a certain point the engine bogs down and feels like it wants to die. Could it be the o2 sensor?

I would not think an o2 would cause that problem but next time it happens try unplugging the sensor, the engine will run in open loop where it does not use the o2 for calculating air fuel mix and if that is the problem the engine should start to run relatively well. It might throw a code. I would think water getting under the distributor cap would be a more likely cause. But I have not had this problem before so I could not say for sure. Is your check engine light on ?

Try spraying the spark plug wires with a spray bottle filled with water, while it's running at night, if you have a bad wire you should be able to see the arc if it is arcing against metal and hear the clicking.