Improve MPG?

enkrypt3d

Right but that tubing is very restrictive and has many bends and curves causing loss of flow and turbulence. Replacing the o2 sensor and cleaning maf is easy... or maybe inspecting that rear bearing for the drive shaft......

Snorkel tubing or the stock stuff? The weird stuff coming off the airbox is just a silencing system. The actual tubing is pretty much a straight shot. It's not like a Chevy pickup where the air has to go through a bunch of flattened plastic tubes from the fender.

If the rear bearing was bad enough to effect mileage, I think you'd be hearing all kinds of horrible squeaks and clunks from it. Get the sensors taken care of and see what that does to your MPG.

And if you think a Pathfinder hood is heavy, try moving a hood from a 70s American sled! I pulled one off a Buick or a Caddy or something a few weeks ago and couldn't lift it by myself. :blink: Even the guy at the junkyard who helped move the thing complained about the weight.

My s13 240sx hood weighs twice as much as my wd21 pathfinder hood... lol.

About the air intake....I think you need to pull off your accordion pipe, and look into your maf. Notice the size it restricts down to. It's freaking tiny. The stock air box is not a real restriction at all in comparison to that stock maf and its pretty good at keeping water out too, for a stock unit. Until you install a larger maf and tune for it, I wouldn't worry about the air box. Like has been said its pretty good considering the huge bottleneck in the maf.

The money could be spent on other mods that will give you more performance per dollar.

Yes I had one of those filters you have to oil on my NSX and it was a PITA.... the oil would collect all the dirt and clog up the filter... even with the lightest spraying of it. I got tired of the maintenance and saw minimal gains unless I replace the entire intake.

Just because its dirty doesn't mean its not still ok.

I put K&N in everything I got man, both my nissans and my chevy, my old honda I used to have and the Maxima I had before that. You just take it out once in a while, like every 6 - 8 months or so, knock all the loose dirt out against the sidewalk or side of your house, then spray the cleaning solution on it and let it set for a little bit, then spray it out (from inside out, push the dirt back out of the filter, not INTO it) with a garden hose. Let it dry and then spray a light coating of oil onto it, drop it back in. It beats buying a new air filter twice or three times a year and they flow a lot better. After you clean it out you can almost see through it. I always like to put it up to the sunlight and look through it to find anything I might have missed.

No problem there, I run paper filters 100k though. And yet every time I replace one it gets a K&N. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Don't worry about clogging air filters unless your a mudder.

Get one of these and drive.

filterminder1.jpg

^

✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓

There is more info about filter minders and longevity of engine air filters here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3018433&page=1 (mostly beginning with Jim Allen's post about halfway down the page)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2878886&page=1 (others' experiences with filter minders on many different engines)

Edited by Towncivilian