Driver side tie rod

Has anybody had any troubles with the thread pattern on the upper tie-rod on the driver side to be different?

after going in to my local shop to get a wheel alignment after adjusting my torsion bars my mechanic notified me about my tie rod being shot and making the tire have play and be "wonky" and it would be redundant to finish the alignment for obvious reasons... so i agreed to have the part replaced... luckily i work beside the shop; so when i got a phone call telling me that there was a problem with the part they had ordered they said for me to come check it out. I found out that at all three of the local dealers that stocked the part( same # ) showed it to have normal thread and the problem was that on my Pathfinder it is reversed and would not fit? and nobody had ever heard of such a thing? but luckily a new part was ordered and hopefully to be correct.

What could such a thing mean? are there different threads on the driver side for american or Canadian versions? was this a result of the previous owner's doin? I know that it had sled into a snow ditch resulting in some minor work but i don't recall anything to be done on the driver side?

I had an issue replacing a tie rod end once on mine, turns the inner/outer/sleeve was installed backwards at some point so the inner was the outer and vice-versa.

The tie rod adjuster is reversed... inner and outer tie rods are the same on the ends, just the threads are different taper direction... surprised the mechanic didn't realise this?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I replaced all my ifs about 3 months ago, and I ran into the same problem... I was stumped for about 30 minutes then I got the genius idea to screw it in backwards and it worked.. So instead of "righty tighty lefty loosy", make it "lefty tighty righty loosy"... It's one of those things that makes you feel really dumb once you figure it out :)

Good luck, hope this helps!