Z24 twin spark to single spark engine transplant, do I or don't I

deanslost

Hello boys and girls,

Might sound like a silly question but.....

I have a Z24 twin spark that had the head redone by the last owner but for some reason they didn't do the timing chain. It has developed some serious blow by, I'm guessing rings, hone and timing chain atleast.

Option 1

I have found a cheap single spark in what is described as a reasonable condition at a reasonable price $375 (AU) for what is essentially an unknown. I have to pull it out myself and it is 340 km's away.

If I decided to go with the new engine what other parts will I require ? I'm guessing I will need at least the distributor.

Option 2

I know I can rebuild mine for approx $450 including delivery if there is not too much wrong and if I order the parts from ebay America. But I imagine I will have to pull it down measure bearings and pistons then order parts then wait. So it could be of the road for a month.

Option 3

I have also found a rebuilt twin spark for $850 (AU) that is approximately the same distance away as option 1. It was rebuilt 2 months ago but the question is how good a job did they do.

Its a second car. A weekend warrior if you like. I can do without it........ if I have to.

So what would you do ?

Is this option 3? You could always try and lowball them, then there's doing a compression test and asking for recipts. Do you know if it was rebuilt from a shop.

Yeah Thats option 3, on closer inspection of the photo's that engine is only single spark too. Might send them a message tomorrow morning and ask some questions before I hit them with an offer.

I'd love to do an engine conversion. I've actually knocked back good commodore motors because of the cost of the conversion kits and the cost of engineering. I had a V6 pathfinder lined up but by the time I got to it there was too many pieces missing and someone had hacked up the wiring loom. For some strange reason every TD27T that becomes available is too expensive or too far away. I found a complete Terrano for $900 but it would of cost me more then that to retrieve it.

My plan is to get it going reliably and as economically as I can. then move on to the other the things I have planned. then if I can get the old girl up to a high enough standard I will revisit the engine conversion idea as time and money permit.

I think I may just pull my engine and check it out, then make a decision.

What do you think?

With a VG30/33 swap you most likely won't need to get it engineered well in qld anyways but i'm pretty sure it's the same in nsw.

how do you find your V6 on fuel, I know it can't be any worse then a worn out z24. How many km's to a tank.

I've been looking on gum tree there seems to be some cheep v6 pathy's around the central coast N.S.W.

Wouldn't have a clue but depending on your mods such as lift, tires etc. you can get 20mpg+ on a vg30. IIRC my1path had about 18mpg pulling a trailer with his vg33 truck (It's lifted and I think it has bigger tires). VG30e blocks are easy to come by for cheap but a vg33e is usually about $1200 from the wreckers (in qld anyways) but you might have better luck getting one from a private seller. Then there's the VG30DE/VG30DETT but that's allot more work which includes rebuilding the trans with a combination of pathy and 300zx parts. The diesel engines are pretty common so you might be able to get a diesel motor for dirt cheap from either a terrano/pathfinder, navara or a patrol.