Nissan Matic d replacement

So i figured it was time to replace my trans fluid especially since im going to be installing a new trans cooler and magnefine filter. Now i usually use mobile one in all my fluids simply because its a brand i trust i use royal purple every now and then but only when its a sale thats to good to pass up.

But i notice mobille synthetic atf stop listing itself as a nissan matic d replacement still says that it is dexron 3 compliant which i guess alot of people use instead of matic d so in theroy i think it will be okay but i just want to be sure.

just for record i found an old mobile 1 atf bottle we cut and use as a funnel in the shop and its beat up label reads it as a nissan matic-d and J replacement i believe might be S just wanna know if any of u guys are running this and make sure it really is just a legal issue between mobile and nissan about the name on a product.

I don't know the answer about that particular fluid, but when I installed my auxiliary transmission cooler I also changed all the fluid. I went to nissan to buy the matic d stuff, and the parts guy said I should save my money and just get generic dexron3. Since thats all the nissan fluid is anyway. So I went to canadian tire and bought the generic stuff. This was about 2.5 years ago and ever since I changed it the transmission has seemed a little smoother. Of course, it could be just in my head. But my old fluid was in poor shape. Here's the fluid I used http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/AutoFluidsChemicals/TransmissionFluidTreatments/PRDOVR~0281502P/MotoMaster+Dexron+III%2BMercon+Automatic+Transmission+Fluid.jsp?locale=en

Edited by patqx4

Any fluid claiming to meet Dexron III is suitable. Dexron III is no longer a current specification and is not a licensed fluid, so the fluid is not guaranteed to meet or exceed DexIII specs. But any name brand or even store brand fluid should be fine, it's just the unknown brands sold in gas stations you'd have to worry about. There is also no superceding Nissan fluid for Matic D; you can't use J (obsolete) or S (Dex-VI like?) in its place.

M1 ATF will work fine. Perhaps the older DexIII based formula listing Matic D on the bottle would be 'better', but it should not make much of a difference.

I've been running the castrol import multi vehicle oil in my wife's 01 nissan quest for years. almost 170K and it still shifts great.

James

I carry two quarts of that myself. Thats the fluid my dealer told to me to use if I dont want to buy the Nissan branded Matic-D. If anyone else can check or confirm at their local dealer.