New cars

ahardb0dy

Just saw an article on the Ford Focus ST, looks pretty cool for a Ford, turbo 252 HP 270 TQ, autoGuide.com did a comparison between it and the Mazda Speed 3, the Focus won. I know Ford has been making hot performance focus's overseas for years about time they sell one over here.

What is everyone's opinion/experience with any of the following -

Ford Focus ST

Mazda Speed 3

Subaru WRX (not the STI, out of this price range)

Subaru BRZ

Hyundai Veloster

Kia Forte Koup ( lower HP than the rest on this list)

VW GTI

VW Golf R ( little over price range of most of these but 265 HP all wheel drive)

Also just saw the new Mazda 6 pretty cool looking

No Honda civic's (don't like Honda !)

Thanks

My brother had a 07 mazdaspeed 3. Wicked fun car to drive. Only warranty claim is for when a engine mount broke.

Being that I work at ford, I'm still very cautious with the products. Cause you just don't know what you are going to get. Though, the focus in general seems to be pretty reliable.

IIRC, the difference between the Subaru/scion, is that the scion is rear wheel drive, Subaru is awd. First one we got(Scion), had some engine issue and hd the timing chains had to come off. Of the ones we sold, havent seen one back in otherwise.

Sorry, not a Hyundai/Kia fan.

considering that ford owns mazda i dont see this as a major accomplishment but they are bringing the rs focus to us finally that will be sick

and awd brz u smokin bro?

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/brz/index.html

the diesel one next year will be sick but these cars imo arent worth it theres alot of cars with more power that handle just as good with that kinda price range that i have to walk by to get to that hing v6 mustang is what 3k cheaper has 300 horsepower and gets 30mpg..........

Edited by shoesandsocks

the diesel one next year will be sick

There will be no diesel BRZ, it was an elaborate April Fools Joke.

I read a comparison for the BRZ vs FRS, I recall the major difference was one came with in dash GPS and the other didn't, and the interior was slightly more refined.

An inlaw has a Mazda 3 and even with his wanna be ricer driving, adding a turbo with duct tape (no joke, he blew it off twice) and tearing the diff housing in 1/2 (I did say ricer, right? We changed it in my garage), that little think keeps on going, so it is a winner in my book.

Ford Focus: My Mom bought one years ago and it needed a new tranny in the first 20k miles. Sure, it was a warranty deal, but who cares! She sold it shortly after...

Yeah, the ST will be a totally different engine/tranny, but who cares, it is still a Ford! I wouldn't drive one unless it was free, and even then I'd probably sell it while it still ran so I could buy something I'd want.

B

An inlaw has a Mazda 3 and even with his wanna be ricer driving, adding a turbo with duct tape (no joke, he blew it off twice) and tearing the diff housing in 1/2 (I did say ricer, right? We changed it in my garage), that little think keeps on going, so it is a winner in my book

Was it just the Mazda 3? He probably should of got the Mazdaspeed version. 275HP, already has a turbo. Pocket rockets.

Yes, he was adding the 'Speed' to it.

Don't use logic on my inlaw, he is impervious. After years of his screwing around, I told him just to get an M3 have his dream car out of the box... :rolleyes:

B

Out of the ones you listed, the only ones that really get my attention is the VW's and the two Subies. I don't know anything about the Mazda's, the only Mazda that has popped up on my radar is the MX-5 and the RX-8 sporting the timeless Wankel. I'm proud of Ford for the focus (first Gen, I don't know if the new one is 3rd or 2nd gen but I don't like it styling wise), they've done a pretty good job on finally breaking into the subcompact hot hatch market and competing with the others.

I'm sorry I just can't put the Koreans into the same class as these other cars, there's no way. The Veloster does look cool but I don't know anything about the engine or build quality..it's not really moving my needle (I'm so glad you're a mature bunch here and we don't have to worry about any hilarious 6th grade humor with a comment like that!) so I don't put much into it.

GTI's are awesome and I'm really digging the new BR-Z / FR-Z from Subaru Toyota and I think to have a WRX would be a riotous good time. I would actually go with the WRX over the STI version for the softer edge and far less turbo lag, it'll be easier to drive around town and live with on a daily basis. I just wish they hadn't jacked it up with the new generation styling wise. The early 2000's looked awesome, sharp, tough and macho, the style was genius. I feel the same way about the same year model Nissan Sentra SER 2.0 and Spec V, those things were HOT! And then Nissan had to go and screw it up.

Even though I think the looonnggg line of Mitsubishi Lancer Evo's are a little more technically proficient, slightly better race car, I'll always side with the Subie over the Bishi. I'm conflicted on Mitsubishi.

Back to the point: My pick is the WRX over the GTI, point goes to japanese build quality and awd over front wheel dr. VW's are notorious and backwards, and they're interiors while great looking it seems they don't hold up over time. Infact, if the Subaru wasn't on the list, I'd go with the Mazda over the GTI even though I know nothing about the Mazda, I know it's well made and easier to support than the german.

Actually, now that I think about it the BR-Z is way better looking than the new gen WRX so that poses a new conflict....BR-Z is rear drive with a boxer engine, makes me think dirty thoughts (cuz it's sexy as hell) and is a Subaru. The WRX is all wheel drive and turbo charged (is the BR-Z a turbo?) I think I would have to spend a little time with each one of these and do some research and test drive. One of these will probably put you more at ease and comfort and provide an overall feeling of One-ness, than the other.

I put all those on the list as they are the "pocket rocket" cars from each listed manufacturer, I would love to have a WRX STI but they are way out of my budget as are the Evo's,

Ford has been making these hot cars overseas for years, they even have a higher performance version that they still won't bring to the US.

I liked the GTI when they first came out and the second generation,

Personally I don't like having to have a 4 door when I don't need 4 doors, I understand these 4 doors and the STI and EVO are some bad ass cars, I just still prefer coupes, old school I guess.

Really wish Nissan would come out with a new 2 door, something besides the Altima Coupe or 370.

I thought the Altima coupe was available with the V6? Guess not just looked. I like the Altima Coupe just prefer a smaller car, although some of the cars I listed are probably close in size. Would want the V6 but doesn't seem to be available in the coupe.

no edit button on my last reply so have to post again.

Just read Nissan dropped the V6 for 2013, another reason I would not buy the coupe is I will not drive a car with the CVT tranny, they may be more efficient but I hate them !

Give me a manual everytime !

Was just looking at the V6 Mustang and camaro's, pretty good HP numbers for both, I would lean towards the mustang I think.

Not really car shopping, don't have good credit but I like to look once in a while

Mustang 305 HP 6 speed manual for around $21K

I don't like the CVT because every time you lift on the gas pedal even slightly it feels like someone is stepping on the brake, at least in the 2007 Sentra we have hear that I drive occasionally.

This isn't the first time I've heard negative sayings about the cvt, I don't think they last very long. I guess they get burnt up or something. I agree with Ahardbody, give me a good ole manual with a clutch anytime, even though my current pathy is an auto, I still wish it were stick. Manual shift drivers like us I'm afraid are a dying breed. Not very many people these days even know how to use one. There is nothing like rowing through the gears and wrapping out each one and just enjoying driving period.

Huh, I like driving them. Something about holding the engine in the powerband without shifting is just nice. As far as how many fail? Yeah, I replaced several in the early Murano and one in a maxima. Anymore than a traditional auto or 5-6 speed? Not really. It's not like CVT's are new. I think there is just a big misconception about them and how they operate, cause, well, it's different. Just my 2 cents.

I don't like the CVT because every time you lift on the gas pedal even slightly it feels like someone is stepping on the brake, at least in the 2007 Sentra we have hear that I drive occasionally.

I am currently driving a nearly fully loaded 2013 Sentra loaner (with CVT) and although the car drives very nicely (very composed, almost sporty) the CVT lets it down like nothing else. Yes, it is great on fuel I am currently averaging 8l/100 km (huge change from my pathy) but here's what I noticed with the CVT:

It vibrates like a MoFo when I accelerate from low RPM's

It sounds like an audiotape of a strangling cow, stuck on repeat upon hard acceleration

It is S L O W...I had an old, beat up WD21 pass me while the CVT was hunting for a place to finally grab...

Over the weekend I tried using the cruise control and unh, uhn! :nono: damn thing lost about 8-10 kph going up hills before the CVT finally reacted enough to return the vehicle to the speed it was supposed to be at.

I was able to get better fuel economy without the cruise control than with on the CVT(supposedly the CC is better on the hwy)

It does hold the gear well so if you are trying to decelerate on downhills, it helps (so I guess that is a plus? :shrug: )

I too am a firm believer in Manual Transmissions. My pathy is auto but I had no choice...Manual pathfinders are very, very hard to find (especially with the leather, bose system, etc that my wifey wanted. (she refuses to learn to drive stick even now)

As for new cars...I like the look of the BRZ/FRS but they are just not practical for me. Have kids, need 4 doors. I haven't always liked the WRX (newest body style) I always liked the previous body style but that is not a new car so...moot point. I really like the look of the Hyundai Veloster Turbo. The fact that it comes with 3 doors makes it almost perfect. The latest Tiburon-derived 2-door coupe (oh yeah, can't do two doors, sorry... :headwall: )

I love the look of the new Focus and Fiesta. They are more inline with the euro versions...now, if they could just bring the hottest of the hot here...In comparison, I hate the look of the latest-version Mazdaspeed3. I love a hot wagon more than anyone but c'mon...it looks like a cross-eyed guppy...with fangs but still a guppy. Koup is nice but 2 doors...

I need utility so my needs point me toward a hatch or wagon. I would have to say that I would go for a 4-door GTI (if there is such a thing) if not available, I would get a Jetta wagon and hot-it up a notch. (I love the old Passat wagons...)

JPG

Edited by Bluewulf73