88 starting issue

Hi all, I own a 1988 Pathfinder VG30i V6. My timing belt shredded while driving and I replaced it, but I cannot get the engine to to start. I did not mess with the distributor, except for a new cap and rotor, new plugs and wires. The ECM OBD shows 55, no malfunctions, it has fuel and I will occasionally get a backfire or sometimes an actual exhaust stroke. I have tried many different tooth settings on the cams, but nothing. Any ideas? Thanks.

What he said ^^^^

You can check your valves by purchasing (or borrowing) a compressor gauge. You should read in the 120-150 "ballpark" if I remember correctly? My wife's timing belt broke on her Honda that resulted in bending all of the exhaust valves. I opted to change out the cylinder head from a donor motor in lieu of purchasing a new motor. The next time a TB breaks on one of my cars, I'm going with a new motor as it would be way easier than going through changing out the heads again. :doh:

Thanks for the responses. I was informed by the dealer that the 88 pathy is a non-interference engine, but I did a cylinder leak-down compression test just to be sure, and they all held compression. Could my distibutor have jumped a tooth?

Absolutely. However, the VG engines are interference motors. My luck has pushed the boundaries to the point that I've had one TB jump timing and the replacement broke. I'm still hitting on all cylinders and am counting on my luck. I'm not betting "all in" any more. Try advancing/retarding the dizzy to see if you can find the right balance.

VGs are all interference (except for the motors put in Mercury Villagers, apparently) and I've never heard of a VG30 (what you have) shredding a belt without lunching valves. Your compression test sounds promising though. What are the numbers? The service manual specs between 173 and 128 psi per cylinder, no more than 14 psi difference between cylinders.

I don't think the distributor would jump unless there was something horribly wrong with it. Are you sure you got the timing belt lined up right?

If one of the pistons hit a valve or valves you wouldn't be able to turn the engine over, you should always try turning the engine over by hand after replacing the timing belt first before cranking the engine over using the starter.