1988 SE v6 with MPFI swap just done... runs but... issues

okay, just got my mpfi swap done. it starts, but bogs when i give it gas unless i ease it up to about 1500 rpm or so... BUT i dont have the 02 sensor hooked up yet because the ecu and harness is a 84 turbo with ZIRCONIA type 02, is the trucks a ZIRCONIA too? could this be my issue? everything is wired rite i believe... except my fuel pump is grounded so when i turn the key it stays running, pin 108 on the z ecu wont ground the truck so i bypassed it...... any help is appreciated, just want smooth idle and revving.

Unplug the O2 sensor, you don't need it. The Z ECU doesn't use them until above 3,000RPM and less than half throttle. If you run the wrong sensor you can actually ruin the ECU, the wiring between the two are pretty different and one won't work with the other. My Pathfinder runs perfect with no O2 along with tons of Z31s.

Sounds about right... I ran my '87 Turbo with the O2 unplugged for a month, basically zero difference in mileage and power. However if one is bad or wired incorrectly/ wrong style it can be pretty bad.

• 3 weeks later...

definately, if anyones interested theres a vid on youtube -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKlj_LTH5J0 i couldnt figure out how to post it on here... truck runs fine now, had a few issues with my splices, but ive since fixed them, added 12000k hid's and z31 bumper lights so they would be running lights also, next is the turbo hopefully next week, and after that new clutch and my z31 subframe/suspension/diff. which should be fun!!!

definately, if anyones interested theres a vid on youtube -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKlj_LTH5J0 i couldnt figure out how to post it on here... truck runs fine now, had a few issues with my splices, but ive since fixed them, added 12000k hid's and z31 bumper lights so they would be running lights also, next is the turbo hopefully next week, and after that new clutch and my z31 subframe/suspension/diff. which should be fun!!!

In the reply box click the third button from the left, select "youtube" and paste your link in the box below.

oh, and for anyone that wanted to know specifics on what it took to make this happen.. ill list what i did.

-1984 300zx turbo / with BW T-5 tranny..

-swapped motor mounts from the original blown up v6, along with alternator, power steering pump.

-swapped from Z31 intake to 96 pathfinder plenum. (had to trim around the bolting location because i have top feed turbo fuel rails)

-used z31 throttle body, (had to make a small 3" plate for the throttle cable to relocate to opposite side of pathy tb throttle spot)

^^^ - because i was broke and only had 26$ for a stripped plenum...\

-bought 89 maxima distributer cap so coil wire was away from plenum (doesnt change timing at all)

- used a ka24 trans mount (only used 2 out of 4 bolts) to mount it to the truck .... no issues at all... did this because mine was an automatic se-v6 before.

- had to get a few inches taken out of the driveshaft - automatic yolk was correct spline count.

- used z31 ENGINE harness only, 5 speed ecu, nothing past the 16 pin connector near ecu.

- took the rest of 16 pin plug near ecu and cut a few inches from it, so it was easier to run wires where i needed them.

- pins 3, and 5 where extended to the original ecu spot under seat, and spliced into 3, and 5 there.

- pin 9 from the same plug is start signal wire, spliced to pin 9 under.

- pin 10 i wired to pin 10 (neutral safety) under the seat to keep the interlock so i can have a theft deterrent under my hood.... ( i live in the city so..... i dont want people trying to hotwire my @!*%... and get away with it )

- pin 34 runs to pin 34 for ignition power.

- for water temp gauge i just exetended factory wire under hood on trucks harness, so i could tuck the old harness back somewhere out of the way.

- deleted and tucked wiring for, air bypass, FICD, EGR, and Fuel Pressure solenoid.....

- kept fuel temp, head temp, maf, tps and cas. this is all my truck runs on and does fine.

- and FINALLY. the fusible link attatched to the z harness, gets ran to battery for constant power.

it took a little help and hints from KINGMAN, and studying the 84 FSM and 88 FSM for a month to make sure everything was correct for this swap to be possible..... hope this helps anyone thinking to do this in the future.... as i had been wanting to do this swap for 6 years before i made it happen.... total investment on my truck is about 800 which included buying the truck and the parts to make it where its at... not including all the z parts i had from my wrecked car. if any questions... PM me or simply post it up... i will post more vids and pics as they get done.