Keys

elkootcho

So, I only have 1 key to my 2000 Pathfinder and the loop at the top is broken so I cannot carry it on a key chain

Local dealer says $100 for a key and $90 to program it to the car.

I was in Lowes today to get house keys made and they can make a Nissan transponder key for $75.

Have any of you had keys made anywhere other than the dealer? Does it need to be "programmed"? How exactly does this work?

Edited by elkootcho

All keys must be learned by the Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System. Only the dealer is able to program them as far as I know. Perhaps Lowe's is creating a duplicate using the code used in your current key. I don't know if this will have any side effects with NVIS.

You can use some zip ties to be able to put the key on a key ring. I'll dig up some example photos later.

Guys, I have a 97 pathfinder, and made a key at lowes (ironically I was there for other stuff last week). My key is oval shaped I'm assuming mine is just a regular key, no transponder? I did have the other key in the car also. I'm just not too familiar with the pathfinders yet and wanted to at least have one spare in short notice since I just bought the pathfinder.

Where did you get the unchipped key made? Lowes refused to make one for me, stating some bull@!*% that a nonchipped key would confuse the ECU. I'm not an idiot, I won't try to start the car with a nonchipped key and even then, the security light would blink and nothing would happen.

You would think keys shouldn't be too hard to make...well this thread reminds me of when I lost one of the two keys to my Ninja. I went to Lowes, HD, Ace etc to have a spare made but they all told me they don't have the blanks for Kawasakis. I thought hmm what's so special about the Ninja blank, they have a mirade of keys there couldn't they match one up in length and width?