front crank oil seal leak?z24(s)88 pathy

ok I noticed a oil leak,degreased,found-

1.front diff and oil pan recently resealed.

2.new water pump..

3.oil leaking from what seems to be behind fan pulley,make sense?

4.oil leak at rear of engine,seems to be between engine and gear box.

MY ISSUE; is this worth pulling apart and fixing,or look for replacment bolt on to 5speed like a ka?????? .OR pull apart and do seals AND if I did redo seals is there anything else I could do as I believe I have to pull timiming cover off and timing chain etc also my first time doing this with nissan engine,done a honda and holden engine.im pretty mechanical but a detailed instruction would be great if anyone knows where to find one.

So the timing cover is leaking and the rear main seal.

The timing cover is no big deal since your KA is chain driven and you don't have to worry about the t-belt getting soaked.

The rear main seal is more complex. You have too pull the tranny to get too it.

If your motor is a good runner, low km or freshly rebuilt I would advise fixing it. If its a smokey old bastard that's on its way out I would look for a fresher motor too swap.

• 3 weeks later...

I would pull the z24 and install a ka24de out of a frontier if it was me and I already had to pull the engine for seals anyway... I have a ka24de in my 240sx and its the best and most reliable engine I have ever owned. Only thing more reliable than my pathy is my 240. You will get a significant power increase and they can be had for peanuts. Around here anyways...139$ on sale at pick a part. Then u can do all the work on the new motor outside the truck and once its all ready and resealed just swap it in and run the ka24 ecu/engine harness. Then your down time is cut to a minimum as well.

I know its work but that is what I would do. Just my 2 cents. I have always wanted a 2 door 4x4 pathy with a ka24de!

Edited by Nefarious

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sounds familiar, but I have the VG30 engine.

I recently did my rear main seal, but I was having my tranny rebuilt at the same time...so it was pretty much required. I lived with a leaking rear main for at least a couple years, as others have said, I probably wouldn't recommend the effort to do it unless you're pulling the tranny, motor or transfer case. Just make sure you keep an eye on your oil levels and you're fine, unless you have qualms with leaving small oil puddles everywhere. :) Then again, you could just swap motors...but that seems like a big hammer for a small problem.

As for the timing chain cover, it's probably the front oil seal and probably due to mis-installation. It's not a terrible job, but there's a lot you have to remove to get to it and it will take time. (It's usually quoted around $800-$1K, almost entirely labor.) It's always a good idea to replace the water pump, t-stat, and lower coolant hoses (and anything else that's remotely worn) at the same time while you're in there, even if they've been replaced previously, because they're cheap parts and expensive/time consuming to fix later. I always have my oil seals replaced as well. There's a few guides out there on Youtube, defnitely recommend checking them out.

• 5 months later...

Thanks guys,I did just that jumped under pulled few belts and pulleys,realised how much more time I needed and backed out ;) not losing to much at all . Enough but not dangerous just messy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk