New Owner - Pathfinder Shaped Pile of Rust

Tjmarchand

Hey everyone, I am now an owner of a 1993 Pathfinder SE. I wish I had seen seen this website before I bought at because I'm dealing with a lot of the problems found in the FAQ. It's extremely rusty underneath and the frame behind the rear axle is nearly non existent! I like the truck though and I'm going to jump in & start fixing things.

My priorities so far include:

Fixing the rusty frame

Radio doesn't work, so I'll be installing a new one

Transmission gets stuck inbetween 1st & 2nd (it's an auto) not sure if it's bad or there's something I can do

It loves gas, maybe do something to gain a couple MPG's if I could

Fix the rusted out rocker panel

For me it's a temporary vehicle but I'm really starting to get attached to it!

http://imgur.com/a/EdB9N

Welcome!<br />Do you live in the Boston area? Did you just buy this from Craigslist?

Thank you! I live in Medford (10 mins from Boston proper). This absolutely is from Craigslist, it was in North Andover. I paid $1600 for it.

Craigslist link is expired (obviously because you bought it!) but this is why I was asking

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?/topic/35272-1993-pathfinder

Lots of great info here, quite a few live in the Salt/Rust belt and in Canada so we are familiar with rust. I live in Cali but my 94 spent the first years of its life in Chicago so its got issues as well.

• Like 1

Craigslist link is expired (obviously because you bought it!) but this is why I was asking

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?/topic/35272-1993-pathfinder

Lots of great info here, quite a few live in the Salt/Rust belt and in Canada so we are familiar with rust. I live in Cali but my 94 spent the first years of its life in Chicago so its got issues as well.

Haha, that is absolutely the truck I bought. Thank you for that, I need to go over there and show them! There is some great info here, I'm really glad I found this site. I'll be really glad when I can get this thing running right! I'm hoping to make it last.

Ok, before you go to far, look into getting the frame/pannels fixed, and go to the Garage section, there is a pinned thread to download a FSM (1994 is first year, use that for most things). That will allow you to diagnose the AT, after checking the fluid and making sure there is flow through the cooler lines. Either of these can be show stoppers so don't waste time on the small stuff yet. The inside and most of the out looks great though so hopefully it is salvagable.

I just don't get it why people let them rust away like that. :doh:

B

Sounds like the valves in the trans might be gummed up. I've heard that pouring some Seafoam Trans-Tune in there helps unstick them. Getting the trans working better and giving the engine a basic tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, vac lines) should help get some gas mileage back but don't expect much more than 18mpg average.

Holy frame of the Titanic, though! Good luck with that.

Ok, before you go to far, look into getting the frame/pannels fixed, and go to the Garage section, there is a pinned thread to download a FSM (1994 is first year, use that for most things). That will allow you to diagnose the AT, after checking the fluid and making sure there is flow through the cooler lines. Either of these can be show stoppers so don't waste time on the small stuff yet. The inside and most of the out looks great though so hopefully it is salvagable.

I just don't get it why people let them rust away like that. :doh:

B

Thank you very much for your advice. Transmission is the first thing I'm going to look at. I peeked at the fluid and it does have enough, but I should double check and then check those lines. Gunna stay positive and hope it's a minor issue. Then I can focus on the frame. It was kinda dirty inside, I don't think I want to know what the previous owner was up too.

Rust isn't a big deal. I suspect that Nissan is more at fault since there frames have those awesome none draining drain holes.

Welcome and all.

There are enough okay parts that I'm sure it can be saved. The title was me joking I'm not very funny!

Sounds like the valves in the trans might be gummed up. I've heard that pouring some Seafoam Trans-Tune in there helps unstick them. Getting the trans working better and giving the engine a basic tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, vac lines) should help get some gas mileage back but don't expect much more than 18mpg average.

Holy frame of the Titanic, though! Good luck with that.

I can grab a can of that and hopefully that'll fix it without anything expensive being wrong. I think the guy I bought it from did a tune up but it wouldn't hurt to go over it again. It was a small garage place so they gave it a once over to make it sellable. 18 mpg would be fine with me, if I can get it there I'll be very happy. Thank you!

Rust or not, the body and interior look fantastic. Welcome to NPORA!

Thank you! The rust can be dealt with, I'm really happy the dashboard isn't cracked. It didn't come out in the picture but the carpet has lots and lots of little stains, the floormats are original and kinda filthy. I have carpet cleaner and hit it once so far. Headliner is stained too! Truck doesn't smell bad inside though, I might try one of those rug doctor machines if it really starts to bug me.