decisions decisions(Handling thoughts)

So im going into my second round of upgrades on my 01 pathy and now im trying to focus more on the handling aspect now that i got the amount of height i wanted..

My goal is to not make my car an absolute brick a lil bumpy is fine but i want to keep the body roll down to a minimum. im not trying to build a pathfinder that pulls a g my main focus is that my truck is a rally rescue truck for alot of my friends and there imprezas out here and they don't like to wait on me to get there and i don't like sliding off into the distance to get there. And the fact that every now in then u can see both my pathys at a local rallyx event im not trying to win just like to have fun.

So i have built race cars before but wanted to get the community s opinions on what i'm thinking i got cross drilled rotors and ebc pads waiting to come in. A missing link is a given don't know if ill just start making one or order it.

My main thing is the struts now everyone here goes with the kyb gr2/excel g i have had these on cars and they are a bit stiffer but not by much. Now option 2 is i have a set of very old kyb gr2 that were blown that i pulled off my 96 just sitting there i can cut it open and get the koni strut inserts which would allow me to have a adjustable strut which means i could set is as i see fit. Now the difference between the two is about 20 bucks shipped But my main concern is if that i go with the koni i have no idea how stiff they will be and what to put in the back since koni doesn't make a rear strut i would probably have to go kyb rancho or bilstein but i don't know what would match up and balance with them.

any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated i do wish alexrex was still around at least he could shed some light on the bilstein 5100s for me.

As far as body roll, have you looked at adding the "Missing Link"?

Here's the thread on it: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/27671-jackson-autosports-r50-missing-link/

Sounds like it helps quite a bit. I'm thinking of doing something about it myself. Some guys have even used electrical conduit cut to length, and then pinched the ends in a vice, drilled holes in the end, and did it that way.

Edit to add link:

Here's the one:http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/34524-diy-5-missing-link/?hl=conduit

Looks like you've already knew about that one since you commented on it :aok:

Edited by Iceman2989

Now option 2 is i have a set of very old kyb gr2 that were blown that i pulled off my 96 just sitting there i can cut it open and get the koni strut inserts which would allow me to have a adjustable strut which means i could set is as i see fit. Now the difference between the two is about 20 bucks shipped But my main concern is if that i go with the koni i have no idea how stiff they will be and what to put in the back since koni doesn't make a rear strut i would probably have to go kyb rancho or bilstein but i don't know what would match up and balance with them.

i do wish alexrex was still around at least he could shed some light on the bilstein 5100s for me.

Option 2 seems like the way to go, but I can only assume that being adjustable will mean there will be a setting that will work for you. Doesn't the rear have a coil spring and shock, not strut assembly? I know the VG33 or pre-1999.5 models are set up this way. I have heard good things about the Rancho 9000 which are also adjustable and I assume some are made that will fit the rear.

Watch what you wish for, that guy was nonstop trouble and attitude. I'm pretty sure he has youtube videos under the same name so you might be able to get a hold of him that way, just keep it away from here.

B

I would not advise getting the Rancho 9000's. Even at their firmest setting they're too soft.

I am running Bilstein 5150's with 255/70 valving, and they're great. They are somewhat firm (but not harsh) when the truck is empty, and are perfect (not too stiff, not too mushy) when the truck is loaded up with camping gear.

i tried putting shocks from my 01 onto my 96 when i upgraded and they did not fit the opening s were different sizes i could fit them by flipping it upside down actually and it would work but wasn't worth it to me.

Never used the Koni inserts but I have the KONI SA yellows on my bimmer and they've been excellent. You'll have to watch out for the valving on those inserts i.e. what spring rates they're designed for even when adjustable.

For the rear I'd go with the Bilstein 5150s like Xplorx4, which is what I plan to do but so far my KYBs are doing decently (not superb but not crap either).

Now having said that, when you say the handling it really means different things to different people (just like wheeling etc). If you want less body lean then go with stiffer springs, lower springs and bigger sway bars. A shock while crucial in a racing environment to properly control the rate of weight-transfer, maintain tire contact with the road and control the oscillation of the springs without boiling over, it's not as critical in the everyday driving. Of course, you still have to match the spring rate of the shocks and make sure you're in the middle range of the shock travel at rest for best results but again you'll probably 'feel' a bigger difference when your truck leans less and gives you the feeling of more grip. Don't forget the tires are also part of the suspension and how a tire conforms to the road and oscillates is an extension of the shock.

Lastly, OME makes struts that are matched to their HD springs btw...they're a bit spendy but the one account I've read the guy really liked the setup. I wouldn't be surprised if the OME strut isn't a rebadged Koni or a Bilstein.

Oh alexrex - :doh::whistle:

Edited by stioc

i tried putting shocks from my 01 onto my 96 when i upgraded and they did not fit the opening s were different sizes i could fit them by flipping it upside down actually and it would work but wasn't worth it to me.

I'm not 100% certain of this, so take it for what it's worth.

I believe that, for aftermarket shocks, the 96-99 shock eyelets are the same as the 00-04 eyelets.

On the 96-99, the top mount is large-diameter, and just the shock bushing fits over the post and is secured with a big nut/washer, and the bottom mount requires a sleeve to be inserted into the bushing, then a long bolt is run through the mount and the eyelet.

The 00-04 top mount requires a sleeve (and bolt), and the bottom post is the same diameter as the top mount on the 96-99, and the shock eyelet is secured with just a nut/washer.

To fit 5150's on your truck, you'll need to use a sleeve on the top mount, and just the naked bushing on the bottom mount. You need a shock that corresponds to the compressed and extended length of your current shocks, and has 255/70 valving.

Never used the Koni inserts but I have the KONI SA yellows on my bimmer and they've been excellent. You'll have to watch out for the valving on those inserts i.e. what spring rates they're designed for even when adjustable.

For the rear I'd go with the Bilstein 5150s like Xplorx4, which is what I plan to do but so far my KYBs are doing decently (not superb but not crap either).

Now having said that, when you say the handling it really means different things to different people (just like wheeling etc). If you want less body lean then go with stiffer springs, lower springs and bigger sway bars. A shock while crucial in a racing environment to properly control the rate of weight-transfer, maintain tire contact with the road and control the oscillation of the springs without boiling over, it's not as critical in the everyday driving. Of course, you still have to match the spring rate of the shocks and make sure you're in the middle range of the shock travel at rest for best results but again you'll probably 'feel' a bigger difference when your truck leans less and gives you the feeling of more grip. Don't forget the tires are also part of the suspension and how a tire conforms to the road and oscillates is an extension of the shock.

Lastly, OME makes struts that are matched to their HD springs btw...they're a bit spendy but the one account I've read the guy really liked the setup. I wouldn't be surprised if the OME strut isn't a rebadged Koni or a Bilstein.

Oh alexrex - :doh::whistle:

that is what im talking abut exactly stoic the springs will help with lean and body roll but the fact is when going over dirt side ways i need shocks to keep it predicable so i can make sure i know what my truck will do in a situation like i siad im not trying to compete but i still like to get the most out of the vehicle

I'm not 100% certain of this, so take it for what it's worth.

I believe that, for aftermarket shocks, the 96-99 shock eyelets are the same as the 00-04 eyelets.

On the 96-99, the top mount is large-diameter, and just the shock bushing fits over the post and is secured with a big nut/washer, and the bottom mount requires a sleeve to be inserted into the bushing, then a long bolt is run through the mount and the eyelet.

The 00-04 top mount requires a sleeve (and bolt), and the bottom post is the same diameter as the top mount on the 96-99, and the shock eyelet is secured with just a nut/washer.

To fit 5150's on your truck, you'll need to use a sleeve on the top mount, and just the naked bushing on the bottom mount. You need a shock that corresponds to the compressed and extended length of your current shocks, and has 255/70 valving.

next time the wife brings pathy 2 on base im gonna confirm this thanks for the info glad we got people like u around what some people may think small to remember may make the world of difference for another member