beep, beep

94extreme

Since it got cold around here i noticed that my horn quit working. I haven't messed with it yet much except for a few observations. Of course I have a few questions. Any and all ideas would be appreciated especially form those who have some experience with this...

A. how do you remove the cover from the stearing wheel? do you just pry it off? it doesn't seem as spongy as it was when the horn worked.

B. where are the horns? i looked briefly but didn't see them. i found, what looks like the alarm horn because it sounds different and kinda works. (my 89's alarm was hooked up to the regular horns I'm pretty sure...)

C. any relays in the circuit? i'm having a hard time following the diagrams in Hayens'.

ok, let's start with those...

thanks.

You should be able to find two horns (at least on my '90 I have two) behind your front bumper just below the headlights (I don't have a stock bumper anymore so I can't be exact, but they should be right behind it or very close to it).

"post whoring" LMAO !!! :laugh:

Horns are useless anyway... Last joker I used it on just looked at me in the rear view and continued to merge; they would have clipped me if I didn't hit the brakes. Install air horns !! Had them on my last bike; it was fun to watch people swerve back to where they were comming from in a heart beat. It's kind of like the sound of a 12 gauge being cycled. Everyone knows the sound, that of imminent DOOM !! :D

Bernard

The horn, at least on my 88, is behind the bumper right below the passenger headlight. I have this same problem. Well, all 3 of our Pathys do (as do a lot of cars of my friends). Usually once it's below about 10F they don't work. Or they kind of do the "beep.....be....be.....pppp....beee....ppppp..." I took the steering wheel apart a couple winters ago and cleaned the connections behind the bumper...it seemed to help a bit but it still did it. I just learned to live with it. The last time I used my horn was when I had a green light to go and a car blatantly turned left in front of me...I honked and I got the finger. I wanted to follow the lady and ask her why I got the finger when she ran the red light (red "protected" turn light)...of course I then realized that someone that dumb would have some answer that would make no sense at all but she'd think she was right. Can't argue with morons. Anyway, I believe it's caused because the metal or something must be contracting like crazy and when you press it it doesn't make good contact. You could maybe try bending some things here or there and it might help. I don't remember what it looks like under the steering cover though. Good luck and hope you get it figured out.

Yes, air horns are definately fun, plus in this case, alot better than sticking your head out the window and yelling "BEEP!"

yeah, it's been a real b****. it's been to cold to even have the windows cracked and "beeping" in the cab is only annoying....

thanks you guys... i'll look into it some more later tonight...

I simply added a third horn under the hood and relayed all three of them with a new relay and bigger guage wire. I used a Fiamm 130 db low note horn. Sounds good. :D

I bet your horns are rusted up inside and just plain need to be replaced. They get that way after a while, particularly in winterized salty areas. See if they still work when you supply them with 12VDC directly from the battery. There is a horn relay under the hood - it's the grey one on the passenger's side fenderwell closest to the battery. You can remove the relay and send 12VDC directly to the horns from there if you can figure out which one is which with a voltmeter or test light. That'd eliminate the relay as a possible problem and let you test the steering wheel switch circuit as well. If they work fine, then start checking other things.

My steering wheel cover has two screws the go in from the bottom at the front, then the cover unsnaps when you pull it directly out. Those clips are tough little metal SOB's, though! Takes some force to get the cover off after the screws are out.

i haven't had a chance to look into it but i will at least lok at it tomorrow. it just dawned on me that since the horns are down by the bumper i bet they are packed with snow, well it's melting fast now. last week below zero and this upcoming weekend in the mid 50s... gotta love it...

anyway, something might have gotten dislodged or blew the fuse (Mr. Pickles, i hope you know i was just ribbing you :D ) I definately want to look into that whole system because the alarm horn is almost dead and a thief would just have a lough.... AIR HORNS sound like a great idea. I still have just the horns on my other truck. I don't think the air pump is there but will look. I wander if i can just find a compressor by itself. Hmmm?

Any idea if one could hook up an AIR HORN to the alarm system??? that'd be the shizzit!!!!

thanks for all your responces dudes... :takebow:

i haven't had a chance to look into it but i will at least lok at it tomorrow. it just dawned on me that since the horns are down by the bumper i bet they are packed with snow, well it's melting fast now. last week below zero and this upcoming weekend in the mid 50s... gotta love it...

anyway, something might have gotten dislodged or blew the fuse (Mr. Pickles, i hope you know i was just ribbing you :D ) I definately want to look into that whole system because the alarm horn is almost dead and a thief would just have a lough.... AIR HORNS sound like a great idea. I still have just the horns on my other truck. I don't think the air pump is there but will look. I wander if i can just find a compressor by itself. Hmmm?

Any idea if one could hook up an AIR HORN to the alarm system??? that'd be the shizzit!!!!

thanks for all your responces dudes... :takebow:

Hey man, that was a momentary lapse of reason for me on your part. You know half the people out there woudn't check the simple stuff, then would be questioning "WHY?" :D