Spring Break worklist

WxChaser

Hey all,

I've got a longer than expected spring break ahead, so I'm going to tackle some tasks that need to be done on my Pathfinder.

I'm starting this post so that I don't have to litter the forums with multiple posts if I have issues. It just works out in a cleaner manner.

Found a Nissan Salvage Yard not too far from the house so I'm extremely excited to pick it apart.

Here's the to-do list:

1. Install new skid plate (shouldn't be an issue)

2. Oil/Filter change (not a problem)

3. Maxima Alternator Swap: (From what I can tell, this just requires me to get one, test it, replace the pulley on it with the pathfinder pulley, and then bolt it on... What year of Maximas should I look at? I'm going for the 90amp)

4. Gates belts on power steering, AC, and alt. (no problem!)

5. Replace rear weatherstripping (not an issue)

6. Fix Door handle (I need to pop the panel off and fix the interior driver side handle, as I have to pull multiple times for it to open.. I may not fix it due to other reasons listed below).

7. Clean headlight housing lenses (Is it as easy as just popping the clips and wiping down the lenses?)

8. Aim Headlights (did a forum post on it weeks ago so I shouldn't have many issues).

9. Rotate tires (Goodyear does that for free!)

10. Repair reverse lights (this is the biggest issue... There are no bulbs/sockets in place of where the reverse lights are. I don't see the sockets or wiring anywhere in fender area.. Do I need to run wiring to sockets, etc? Biggest issue that I may not be able to do alone).

11. Console switch (changing from the WD21 to R50 console, shouldn't be too labor intensive).

12. Trans Fluid overfill (I'm replacing the current fluid with Redline MT-90. Going to fill from the top by the shifter... may need help and guidance with this)

13. Paint rear bumper (easy)

14. Pressure wash engine bay (never have done it, is it okay to do so?)

15. Clean cargo pad

16. Find matching color driver door and fender at JY and install on vehicle (never have done it before, what kind of tools should I need?)

That's about it. Lots to do, but most should be easy. If you have any suggestions on streamlining the process at all, or have any good insight, let me know. I'll post here if I need some help. Thanks!

• Like 1

1. Install new skid plate (shouldn't be an issue)

easy unless you have rusted/broken bolts. Even then, still not a big deal.

2. Oil/Filter change (not a problem)

Hopefully not.

3. Maxima Alternator Swap: (From what I can tell, this just requires me to get one, test it, replace the pulley on it with the pathfinder pulley, and then bolt it on... What year of Maximas should I look at? I'm going for the 90amp)

Yep. Search, the correct or desired years are discussed here.

4. Gates belts on power steering, AC, and alt. (no problem!)

See #2

5. Replace rear weatherstripping (not an issue)

Tell me that when you are done.

6. Fix Door handle (I need to pop the panel off and fix the interior driver side handle, as I have to pull multiple times for it to open.. I may not fix it due to other reasons listed below).

(reads below)

7. Clean headlight housing lenses (Is it as easy as just popping the clips and wiping down the lenses?)

I don''t think so.

8. Aim Headlights (did a forum post on it weeks ago so I shouldn't have many issues).

See #2

9. Rotate tires (Goodyear does that for free!)

4 tire or 5 tire?

10. Repair reverse lights (this is the biggest issue... There are no bulbs/sockets in place of where the reverse lights are. I don't see the sockets or wiring anywhere in fender area.. Do I need to run wiring to sockets, etc? Biggest issue that I may not be able to do alone).

Your tail light doesn't have a socket for reverse bulb? :scratchhead:

11. Console switch (changing from the WD21 to R50 console, shouldn't be too labor intensive).

There is a write up, it isn't exactly plug and play.

12. Trans Fluid overfill (I'm replacing the current fluid with Redline MT-90. Going to fill from the top by the shifter... may need help and guidance with this)

There is a write up, it isn't hard. Do you have the FSM yet?

13. Paint rear bumper (easy)

Enjoy.

14. Pressure wash engine bay (never have done it, is it okay to do so?)

Does it need it?

15. Clean cargo pad

See #13

16. Find matching color driver door and fender at JY and install on vehicle (never have done it before, what kind of tools should I need?)

Reference FSM for fender removal, and door as well. There are threads on changing door bushings here that might help. Caution, the doors are heavy...

B

before you tighten the nut on the alt shaft make sure the pulley lines up with the belt, I had to space mine out.

When I did the QX4 console in my 88 I pulled the front seats, made it easier to reposition the p brake, and to notch the console for the seatbelts.

depending on how many switches you have in your console you might have to move 1 or 2 of them.

Excellent, thanks for the input thus far.

B, is weatherstripping that hard to install? What am I missing?

And yes, for some reason I have no reverse lights. A couple weeks ago, a lady told me that. Bulbs are easy to do, so I looked and saw nothing in the reverse light section of the tailight.

Going to download the FSM at some point soon, thanks!

Also, the engine bay is really messy due to the snow/salt that has gotten in since the skid plate fell off when I was playing in 12" deep snow. Just want to clean it off, I've tried with the garden hose to not much avail, but I figured pressure washing it may help.

The console I bought was from a member on here and he informed me of what all is needed to swap.

Hey all,

Looking for transmission gear oil. I put in some new stuff a few months ago, but was told by another member that the fluid I put in may not be GL-4 fluid.

I know Redline is the top choice, but I'd need to buy 6 quarts of it to completely overfill (and I've have some extra leftover) the trans, and that's $100 that I really can't spend this minute.

Are there any other choices? I've googled on the shopping tab and found redline products but not much else, if anything. Everything else didn't specify GL-4. Links would be appreciated. Thanks.

For reference, this is what's currently in there. Did not overfill it (didn't hear about the TSB until afterwards). If this is considered "okay" then I might just buy another bottle and fill from the top, which would save a lot of $$. Let me know.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_synthetic-sae-75w-90-transmission-and-differential-lube-(32-oz-)-lucas-oil-products_7070037-p

Edited by WxChaser

Are you 100% sure that is a GL4 fluid and not a GL5? I don't think it is GL4 and it doesn't say on the website but it should say on the bottle somewhere. If it's GL5 get it out NOW, that $100 is dirt cheap compared to a new transmission. It's aggravating how much some places mark Redline fluids up. A local performance place here carries MT90 for $8.99 a quart, then a chain store down the road has it for $12.99!

Try Pennzoil GM Syncromesh, it's a GL4.

Pressure washing is fine. If anything and you start having problems afterwords, spray some WD-40 in all of the connectors, plug wires boots, and a shot inside the distributor cap. That'll repel all of the water.

Reviewed the Material Test Sheet, and it said "Meets all GL standard............... ...GL-5,....

Didn't see anything for GL-4. Might as well keep searching the internet for options. Fluid will be changed Saturday!

Don't listen to the dolts at parts stores either. GL-5 does not super cede GL-4. I tried ordering Redline at a few places and they kept telling me GL-5 was obviously better, because 5 is better than 4!

Yeah, I should have been more suspicious at O'Reilly when I went to get all the fluids a few months ago. He didn't seem to have much of a clue to begin with..

Just ordered the Pennzoil Synchromesh. Was going to cost $75 on amazon for 6 quarts, but I went to advance auto and found that they had a quart priced at $8-9. Much cheaper than what amazon said. I also entered 2 promo codes which reduced it to a total of $35 for the 6 quarts plus a hand pump. $15 for tax and shipping made it a lot less overall than redline. Once the fluid comes in, I'll probably spend an afternoon replacing the fluid and putting in the new console.

On my 95 I used a 90 amp alternator from a 1990 maxima. Gates called for a 9361 belt but it was too short so I moved up to a 9370 and it put the alternator in the middle of the lower bracket

Good deal. While you have the console out dump the fluid in through the shifter. One snap ring and the whole shebang lifts out

Yep, that's the plan! 2 birds with one stone!

I hope to get a couple of these done over spring break as well, the best of luck to you!

Also maybe it was just because ive never worked with snaprings before, but i ended up screwing around with the damn thing for maybe a half hour before i got it out. I used snap ring pliers i picked up at lowes, possibly the problem was with the tool (?). Nevertheless persistence is key!

Had to slice the gearshift boot too since i got frustrated with the tcase shifter knob, its STUCK on there... Maybe try messing around with it in advance so it isn't an issue when youre ready to start workin'

B, is weatherstripping that hard to install? What am I missing?

And yes, for some reason I have no reverse lights. A couple weeks ago, a lady told me that. Bulbs are easy to do, so I looked and saw nothing in the reverse light section of the tailight.

It depends which one and how it is attached. I'm just saying not to shrug it off. I've had getting seals to fit properly can be a pain...

There is an empty hole in the back of the tail light assenbly where a bulb should be? :scratchhead:

Then there must be a wire and socket down in the body well. Go fish...

(hint:mirror and flashlight)

B

Went fishing and digging in the fender walls for that socket. Appears to me that someone may have cut and rewired the rear brake lights because the red wire that's currently plugged in with the bundle of other wires attached to the brake light socket is cut. NC Inspection doesn't require reverse lights to be working IIRC, so I'm not too concerned about it. I typically back into my parking spots to begin with.

NC Inspection doesn't require reverse lights to be working IIRC, so I'm not too concerned about it. I typically back into my parking spots to begin with.

I didn't fix my reverse light switch itself for the longest time thinking it was no big deal. Finally did, and a month later I was backing down a narrow trail in the pitch black. Suddenly was happy I had reverse lights!