Another stereo question...

Hey everyone! New guy here and I have to say I love the site so far...it's helped with a lot so hopefully you all can help me with this...

I tried searching all the stereo posts I could find but have yet to find an answer...It started a couple months ago. One at a time each speaker came and went intermittently before going silent. It started on the rear drivers side then to the rear passenger side. Next thing I knew all but the tweets were completely silent. The stereo still has power and I do get that sound from the tweeters but nothing else.

After searching (the whole internet) all I seem to come across is the solution for the bose system and the amp located in the back. I have a base 2004 SE with an aftermarket stereo. My fear is that when I installed the stereo, I didn't/still don't know much about the electrical side of things and may have ruined the wiring or speakers with the aftermarket piece not having an amp.

Any help on finding the solution would be great! We not only have a cross country trip to SoCal coming up but after that it's onward and upward to Alaska! A stereo would be a great thing to have back during the trip...thanks in advance for any help!

According to the FSM, yours has the factory amps in the back. Mine's got the same setup. I've been running an aftermarket stereo for a couple years now and I haven't gotten around to bypassing the amps, but they've given me no trouble (other than being too loud). The r50 likely uses different parts but I doubt the amps are fried (though the tweeters working alone is interesting). The first thing I'd do is pull the stereo out and make sure your wiring held up. Did you use crimp connectors or did you solder stuff? Crimps or twisted connections could easily have loosened up. Also make sure there isn't any exposed wire shorting to other bits. (Electrical tape likes to unwrap over time, heatshrink is better.)

My guess is that the wires from the stereo that power up the amps have come loose. If you've got an aftermarket deck you don't need the amps anymore, so if all your connections look good but the speakers don't work, bypass the amps and see if that gets the speakers going.

I used crimps when installing and have redone all of them with no progress. I tried pulling apart the whole cargo area and couldn't find an amp. Do you think I should go with installing all new wire to the speakers? The HU getting power and still sending out a signal (per the tweeters) makes me think it's either wiring or the speakers themselves. Also, if anyone knows of another location that an amp might be I'll check that as well. But it's not where the manual says or the other side.(checked to be sure)

The amp is tiny. It's located behind the plastic trim on the driver's side rear panel. In fact, if you look through the "vent" with a flash light, you should be able to see it. It's mounted closer to the tail light assembly (away from the fuel filler plumbing) .

Thanks guys! Had a busy day with the wife and kids so couldn't get around to it. I'll double check on the amp tomorrow. I'm honestly tempted on just checking to make sure the speakers are still good and if so i'll just run new wire through the whole thing. I'll let you know how that turns out.... :crossedwires:

From what I've heard, full new wire from the head unit to the speakers is the best way to go if you don't mind running some wires. Stepping from speaker level to line level back to speaker level always seems a little sketch to me.

And buy a soldering iron! Crimp connectors just aren't worth using IMO.

Been horrible weather out here and am just now getting back to this. Still not finding an amp where it should be... :scratchhead: But no worries that it's not there...the problem ended up being the most basic one. Bad speakers. I guess the original speakers in the back have just lived there lives. And I'm told that the front speakers shut down automatically to keep themselves from blowing. So not being very "electrical friendly" I saw speakers that LOOKED good. A friend taught me how to check them with a fluke meter and low and behold...nothing. So I changed out the back ones and suddenly the front ones all work. I'm sure I'll change the front soon as well to get a better sound all around.

Now not being very electrical friendly I have another question...with no amp being in sight, do you guys recommend I put one in there? Even a smaller one to help out with things...just a thought?

Humm? I'm guessing the lack of an amp would suggest that you did not have the factory Bose system. Most aftermarket stereo's average something like 12 watts a channel (some boast twice that). If you're happy with the volume levels of the new speakers, I wouldn't worry about it.

Quite happy! Can't play anything too loud with the two toddlers in the back anyways...at least I'm guessing that's why my daughter plugs her ears. Sounds good to me though...time to start saving for that lift! Thanks again for quick tips and help guys!

Edited by BlueMoonDaddy