1998 Maxima

WxChaser

Hey,

My sister is getting a 98 Nissan Maxima for her first car. I've been fond of Nissan products since I got my Pathfinder, but I was wanting to know if there are any issues I should be aware of so that she's in good shape with this car. It has 106,000 miles, and has been serviced by our good friend/mechanic for two years (hence why we feel pretty good about getting it for her). My brother tells me it's a clean car and in good shape, but are there any common issues as time goes along that we should be aware of? I believe it is an automatic but it's not the top tier level of Maximas.

Wish I could have caught this before she did, my Pathfinder is killing me with the recent gas spike!

Hopefully it's the one with the manual transmission because the automatics on those things tend to be terrible from what I heard. I would get an automatic transmission cooler if it is an automatic and pipe it in with the factory cooler or maybe even bypass the factory cooler.

Bah, 98's were good cars. Updated timing guides and a few other updates. Spark plugs should have been changed at 105k(stick with NGK's). Transmission problems must be a location issue, because of the thousands I have worked on, I maybe have replaced 1 or 2. That was due to owner neglect, and hitting a curb. Great cars, keep the oil changed and proper fuel in it! I would go through and change all the fluids, if it were me.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

One of my friends bought a 98 max while we were in high school. that was 2006, and last I heard he still has the car. He did have a problem with the transmission, but it ended up being the solenoids, so not a physical issue with the trans itself. It didn't cost that much to fix IIRC. Last time I saw it it had over 300k km and was running well.

Well, thankfully the guy has had it serviced by someone we really trust. I've always had a little fear of automatics ever since I learned to drive a stickshift. Never realized how much more intricate an automatic is...

My dad or I will probably go about changing her fluids if our mechanic hasn't touched them in the 2 years he's serviced it. We'll keep the NGK's in there as well, that's what I currently use in my Pathfinder and it seems they are the chosen brand for Nissans. My sister has a car maintenance nazi in her brother (me) so she knows she can get help from me. I'll keep an eye out on some other sites about transmission issues, but she'll be making short trips to school or work with this until she goes to college, so I'm not too worried about the trans grenading.

Thanks for your help thus far, if anyone else has something to report, do so!

i was told to always run premium, or was it plus(?) in those engines, no matter what. or they dont have all the power they should. and i think they all give better mpg on higher oct...

No. If the owner manual says 87, run 87. Unless you have knocking/pinging, then try a higher octane and see if it goes away.

98 is a good solid vehicle IMHO.

As noted above, the timing chain guides wearing out is the only common thing I see that leads to chain clatter and eventually-if you let it go too, too long-chain failure.

There are updated parts from Nissan on this.

98 is a good solid vehicle IMHO.

As noted above, the timing chain guides wearing out is the only common thing I see that leads to chain clatter and eventually-if you let it go too, too long-chain failure.

There are updated parts from Nissan on this.

Excellent, Ill ask our mechanic if he has updated the guides. Wont worry about it until we hear some chattering.

Sister just got the car a day ago or so, it looks great from the pictures. I'll be home next weekend to drive it, but according to my dad it seems to run really well, has new tires, battery, etc. Basically should be tuned up and ready to go. I just might have to steal it and leave my Pathy at home for a few weeks.