Scangauge shows 13.8volts - is that normal?

stioc

It's always shown 13.6-13.8volts while cruising. Is that normal? I'm used to seeing 14.2 or so when the alternator's charging.

The battery is brand new and it showed the same with the old battery too.

Nominal operating voltage for a "12V" automotive system is actually about 13.7VDC, plus or minus 0.1VDC.

This measurement should be made on a running engine with a FULLY (re)charged battery.

When a vehicleicon1.png first starts the voltage at the battery will rise from the original 12.5-12.7 VDC to AT LEAST 14.1VDC. Then, as battery charge completes, the voltage will drop back to about 13.6-13.8 VDC. This usually happens within 5-10 minutes, assuming the battery was fully charged prior to the starting cycle, and the starting happened quickly (5 seconds or so of cranking).

Edited by XPLORx4

Ah cool! It's never gone under 13v while the engine is running, even with the lights/AC etc on.

I usually plug the Battery Tender in to keep the battery topped off when I don't drive it for a few days. I just wanted to double check so I didn't get stranded out in the boonies because of a dead alternator :) Thanks guys!