Problem with cv joints?

glenn

hi all and merry christmas. I had the calmini 3" suspension lift put on my '90 pathy ;also had front arb locker put on. problem is now I hear popping sound from front axil . lift guy said it was the arb. arb guy says the truck's front end is up too high and the cv joints are at too high an angle . the only thing I'm sure of is that there's a problem. Hey "88 and any body else can you advise ? THANKS! -glenn

Glenn, is the popping sound when you turn ??? Then I would definitely believe it's the CV's. Thats the classic definition. The compound angle of the lift + the wheel angle could torture your CV's more than usual. How old are they ? If the noise is while driving straight, I'm clueless...

Bernard

OK Glenn, MAYBE you damaged a CV... So now you hear it driving straight; does it seem speed or bump related ? I seem to remember a post where someone said their front locker made noise, but it was "normal"... Might try searching the forum or reposting this in the garage. The more info you give, the more likely you get a (good) response.

Bernard

thanks again.I had the lift put on ;after a while heard the popping. had the t-bars uncranked some [lowr the front end] and the sound disappeared--for a while; then as i said turned hard right and sound returned. .the sound is speed related- go 1 mile/hr and hear it about every 2 seconds--the faster i go the faster the sound . any other ideas ? should i lower front end more ? THANKS

:hide:

I better check mine also. I've been hearing some popping after putting my CALMINI lift on also. I still haven't been able to get the front end up as high as it should. If you look at the front compared to the rear, the rear looks much higher. I had new cv's put on when I installed the half-shafts. It's getting in the season where I hate to break into things during the butta$$ cold weather. That's Iowa for ya. Good luck & HAPPY NEW YEAR! :beer: :oops: -alcohol- :oops: :bed:

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard that 3" is too much for the Pathy CV's to safely handle. A friend of mine put that kit on and it did not take long for the boots to rip and the joints to blow apart. From what I have been able to learn, 2" (I know its not much) is a "safe" t-bar lift, but anything over that and you need to do more work.

My plan (for now) is to get the JGC springs and then add a ~1" spacer to them, then crank the t-bars up 2". The new springs will raise it 3/4". From looking at the DOwney catalog for my friends Yota, it looks like the good life kits cost $1,000+. Maybe some day I'll have enough.