Rock Auto Woes

MY1PATH

IN the past RA has always been good to me, very supportive in customer issues and always makes things right... So Let's hope they are not starting a new trend!

Recently I resurfaced a flywheel for my wife's clutch job. It went from 23 lbs to 21 lbs.(yeah I know, it was bad, took off .070") Right away I could feel the difference in hilly traffic, it did not take off as easy and I had to rev-slip a little more.

Soon I will be doing an engine change and I wanted to replace the flywheel to restore stock inertia and make driving/ towing better. I ordered a SACHS flywheel from RA and it showed up 20 lbs. LIGHTER than my resurfaced wheel! Imagine MFR's are just making one flywheel for all makes with a vg30 when really that weight is best suited for cars. So I emailed rock auto, spent almost as much in shipping as the product is worth; WA to NY. Fair enough(even though it sucks), I should have asked before buying I'll pay return costs...

Then bought a Brute Power flywheel from them because customer service told me it was 25 lbs (I was excited, upgrade for towing and clutch life).

The Brute Power flywheel showed up and is also 20 lbs. I feel like I have been lied to, they'd better cover shipping this time. I don't have money to ship things back and forth just so I can weigh it. This is the worst service I've ever had from RA.

Summit Racing has one that is listed at 23 lbs (RA flywheels don't have weights listed should have gone that route the first time) I emailed them to double check. By the time I get my next flywheel I will have been jumping through hoops for 3 Weeks!

Edited by MY1PATH

I've recently had some issues with them as well, so I feel your pain. I bought some Moog balljoints that were wholesaler closeout (I bought some Moog TRE's a few months prior that were wholesaler closeout as well, they showed up fine) and when they showed up they were not Moog. I called, and basically was told that a lot of wholesaler closeout stuff may be listed as one thing and show up another. Not sure how thats really legal, but whatever. The uppers were such junk that one side the bolts just snapped while tightening, and the other upper just stripped out.

Also bought a CV axle. It showed up with a giant hole in the packaging box, which they had packaged the CV axle manufacturer box inside. It was packaged poorly, and the differential side flange basically punctured both boxes and was poking out sitting on my doorstep. It didnt look bad, but when it was taken out to install it, the cap that holds in the grease just fell off. The rep I spoke to on the phone made it seem like it was my fault because I ordered such a heavy item. They did eventually refund me though, and paid for shipping.

My last order through them was a fuel pump for the Mrs. Blazer. It's lasted a week and I never got any response on trying to warranty it out (1 week is still within the 1 year time frame, even with MY math!) so I was at least able to take the good float assembly off and fit it to a good pump with a bad float I had. Sometimes saving a buck ain't worth it in the long (short?) run...

The auto parts industry just tends to suck in general. I would not be surprised if all the aftermarket fly wheels were actually 20 lbs. With that being said, Summit Racing has never let me down yet. Hopefully they do have your 23 lbs. fly wheel. If not you may have to call up a wrecker. That's the best place for OEM parts other than the dealership. :lol:

The auto parts industry just tends to suck in general. I would not be surprised if all the aftermarket fly wheels were actually 20 lbs. With that being said, Summit Racing has never let me down yet. Hopefully they do have your 23 lbs. fly wheel. If not you may have to call up a wrecker. That's the best place for OEM parts other than the dealership. :lol:

problem with that, is any used flywheel is likely to need resurfacing which means taking off weight.

now if I find the rare 28 pounder, then I could resurface it and still be have plenty of weight.

I'm sure you could find a used flywheel that wasn't significantly damaged, much less .07" worth of damage, especially in damaged vegicles. .07" is a lot to take off, how did it get that damaged? Makes me wonder if they fixtured/indicated it in well enough before facing it... :unsure:

Bad stories to hear from Rock Auto, I have always gotten what I ordered without damage. I do also get some parts from Autozone or a dealership so I don't use them all the time. Once I did get an ignition tumbler assembly that did not fit until I took a dremel to it. Other than that... :shrug:

B

Never had issues with Rock Auto, that's strange to hear.

Hope you can get it sorted out.

With this talk of fly wheel resurfacing, I wonder if I should start stockpiling extra 55 pound flywheels for the jeep...

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

I'm sure you could find a used flywheel that wasn't significantly damaged, much less .07" worth of damage, especially in damaged vegicles. .07" is a lot to take off, how did it get that damaged? Makes me wonder if they fixtured/indicated it in well enough before facing it... :unsure:

"why are you going so slow up this hill?"

"Because the clutch slips if I give it more gas"

"Oh? I've just been stepping on it and it makes it a little faster..."

"do the RPMs go through the roof?"

"I think so...."

Still wondering?

• Like 1

Got it.

I do still believe that you could find a stock one in good condition just for the weight aspect, but hopefully the one you ordered will be at least 23 lbs and you can just get it done at this point. Good luck.

B

Are you sure your machinist didn't mess up the surface? Maybe its not flat. Also clutches have a break in period of like 500 miles or something like that. I know you are familiar with vehicles so I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. I did some quick math and in worse case scenario your only talk 10% difference in inertia going from 23 lbs to 21

lbs.

My machinist was MR510, I was there when we did it, and I am very familiar with the use of a lathe I could see no wrong in his doing.
Its been thousands of miles, the first thing I did after install was drive to California.

Normal use, its not really noticed. Its times when you are trying to creep up a very steep driveway but not jump into a busy street or at a stoplight on a steep hill.
By steep I mean close to 45 degrees or more.

street_big.jpg

In my truck just tap the gas and roll out the clutch and it goes right up.
In her truck, you do it that quick and it stumbles, so you let the revs a little higher and let off the clutch a little slower.

Maybe its really no Big deal to anyone else but me. But its me and my vehicle so I'm gonna act like it matters.

BTW, Here's a flywheel comparison.
OEMvsaftermarketflywheel_zpsc5ec0832.jpg

Edited by MY1PATH

I'm hoping you find a good aftermarket 23lbs Flywheel replacement. I just want to know where to go when it comes time to change it.

Won't happen, Stock weight 22lbs for the wd21 (I must have remembered wrong)

Best bet, if 2 lbs really matters to you, get a used V6 Frontier or Xterra flywheel and have it resurfaced. If its in good shape it will only loose about 1/2 lb or less.

... I did find {OEM} part numbers... and list price from dealer (PM your NPORA parts guy for better quote)

12310-0W001 25LBS $468 Xterra and Frontier VG33E

12310-02P24 24LBS $375 Pahfinder VG30I

12310-02P19 22LBS Pathfinder and Pickup VG30E, superceedes 12310-02P24 (if ask a dealer for 12310-02P24 they will likely give you this)

12310-5S700 12LBS VG33ER, Must have been aluminum. I'm sure its Great for full race motor or a dessert runner but otherwise YUCK lol

and VQ flywheels are nearly 40 lbs becacuse they are so wimply down low.

My wife didn't notice a difference either. Maybe I have a flywheel/spider sense lol.

My machinist was MR510, I was there when we did it, and I am very familiar with the use of a lathe I could see no wrong in his doing.

Normal use, its not really noticed. Its times when you are trying to creep up a very steep driveway but not jump into a busy street or at a stoplight on a steep hill.

By steep I mean close to 45 degrees or more.

In my truck just tap the gas and roll out the clutch and it goes right up.

In her truck, you do it that quick and it stumbles, so you let the revs a little higher and let off the clutch a little slower.

BTW, Here's a flywheel comparison.

OEMvsaftermarketflywheel_zpsc5ec0832.jpg

Well, if it is set up right and trued/indicated in and you watched, I'd say that's not the issue. It was the amount that needed removing (.07" :ohno01: ), but you explained that.

Yeah, and I've seen worse than that. Those stop signs, and then up and over when all you can see is the hood take some... practice. The real fun is if you have to pile on the brakes on the way down! :D

Honestly, I think there is more going on there than just the flywheel, there is a huge difference between her her truck and yours...

Thanks for that picture, I'm saving it. It looks like the one on the left has some balance holes? I don't see any on the right. Any evidence of balancing?

B

Well, if it is set up right and trued/indicated in and you watched, I'd say that's not the issue. It was the amount that needed removing (.07" :ohno01: ), but you explained that.

Yeah, and I've seen worse than that. Those stop signs, and then up and over when all you can see is the hood take some... practice. The real fun is if you have to pile on the brakes on the way down! :D

Honestly, I think there is more going on there than just the flywheel, there is a huge difference between her her truck and yours...

Thanks for that picture, I'm saving it. It looks like the one on the left has some balance holes? I don't see any on the right. Any evidence of balancing?

B

yep, learning on those hills was scary and I wasn't allowed to use the e-brake trick if nobody was behind me.

Maybe there is more but Mine's becoming gutless, The rings are worn from numerous overheats and flooding so bad it soaked my crankcase with fuel on several occasions. Despite my cams, headers and full exhaust her truck accelerates faster, gets better MPG and just feels good and healthy.

Both trucks are mpfi and geared the same.

My comparison is also of me driving her tuck on Seattle steep hills before and after the flywheel resurfacing.

But I suppose none of it will matter soon enough, she'll have an oem frontier flywheel and a modified vg33 soon. Just waiting to get heads back and the flywheel to show up.

Edited by MY1PATH

Might be a little late, because it seems all of the Rockauto gripe stories are at the top, but I've also had a problem with them as of late.
I know it was a few months ago, but it shouldn't really matter. Back in mid-October I bought a replacement Cardone Select CV axle (NEW, not that reman junk). It arrived in the mail, and I just threw the box in the back of my truck. It sat there for months until I got around to replacing it. I guess I wasn't doing it right, because I had to remove the entire hub (upper ball joint, lower BJ, shock, brake line, and tie rod), but I eventually got it out. My old axle was as sloppy and limp as a wet noodle. I go to put the new axle in, and, after 20 minutes of jiggling and juggling it, I found out that the 5-bolt-spread is not correct. Kinda like lug studs not matching up with the lug holes on a wheel. Only 2 of the 5 bolt holes matched up. Lucky Advance was still open and I got a reman axle (significantly less sturdy than the cardone).

Anyway...I was kinda mad. I was replacing the CV in preparation for a wicked snowstorm the next day. The job took me 2 hours longer than it should have. And in the end, I had to shell out an extra $60 to Advance. I'm SO glad they had it in stock though.
I call up Rock Auto the next day, and at first they were like "well....it was 3 months ago, so it's your fault". But I was firm about it and they said if I cleaned it up I could return it for the cost minus shipping. I went back and checked, and they still have the exact same (faulty) part number listed in the catalog for sale.

It's unfortunate to hear problems with them. They've always been amazing for me and my friends.

Actually, I have heard of RA messing up with flywheels on several occasions.
Tell us how it goes with the one from...Summit?

Well summit was straight honest with me, I emailed before buying and they got out the scale and said their listing was wrong.

Your best bet is to find a Used VG33 flywheel from a frontier or xterra. They are 25 lbs oem, a little less after 200k miles but still over 23lbs once you have had one resurfaced.