Replacement Headlight Bulbs - I need something beyond stock

findmypath

Hi everyone,

I'm probably one of few fools that still was buying Sylvania Silverlight light bulbs for my headlights but I'm done replacing my bulbs every 6 months (that's how long each set lasted) or so and spending $40 on each set. So, with that said I'm curious what would you guys recommend as good replacements? I'm not necessarily looking for the HID look but I just want to get bulbs that are bright.

Thanks

Relay your headlights. . . either build or buy a wiring harness that draws power directly from the alternator or battery to the bulbs. Your bulbs are dim because all of the current for the lights runs through the wiring harness, through the switch to the bulbs. Way too much current drop running through all that 18 (IIRC) gauge wire.

• Like 1

i have a xentec hid kit off ebay have had it since i bought the pathy my friend has the same kit that i installed going over a year and a half and my hardbody has the same kit for like two years no flickering or problems from any. U can get a blue tinted bulb many manufacters do this instad of hids these days because even though it can limit the light output it is marginal the main thing is that a blue tinted bulb will project a whiter color instead of the more tradional whitish yellow. The best bulb i can recomend would be one from piaa pretty pricey but there bright have hi and low not hid and usually last forever

Edited by shoesandsocks

You can get brighter bulbs but they do not last as long. Stick with OEM replacement bulbs. PIAA bulbs are great but they only last about 4 years before one burns out. If you are having problems seeing at night, you should try removing yellowing from the plastic lens with a kit first.

Do not use a HID bulb without changing the housings. HIDs require different housings to aim and focus the light. They need fish eye projector lenses. Reflectors can work too but they have to be special made for HIDs. Running HID bulbs in halogen housings will throw the beam pattern way off and you will be blinding people and possibly lose your high beam.

I put in sylvainia silverstar ultras not long ago. I noticed an improvement over the stock set up. The light doesn't seem like it's shinning through a thick layer of mud anymore. After changing the bulbs I realized my headlights were not aligned properly the driver side was shinning up into space the right side was pointed at on coming traffic. now that I've set them up properly (lower and slightly to the right to avoid blinding on coming drivers) they are even better. And if they don't last as long I've kept the oems as spares.

You can get brighter bulbs but they do not last as long. Stick with OEM replacement bulbs. PIAA bulbs are great but they only last about 4 years before one burns out. If you are having problems seeing at night, you should try removing yellowing from the plastic lens with a kit first.

Do not use a HID bulb without changing the housings. HIDs require different housings to aim and focus the light. They need fish eye projector lenses. Reflectors can work too but they have to be special made for HIDs. Running HID bulbs in halogen housings will throw the beam pattern way off and you will be blinding people and possibly lose your high beam.

Well said,

DO NOT use HID's unless you have projector housings made for it. It's so frustrating when Im driving down the road and getting blinded by some fool who has them in. It's dangerous and it looks like crap.

The problem with that is they cost significantly more than standard bulbs. Using OEM bulbs with properly cleaned and aimed headlights should be just fine because they have to be made to specification. If you can afford it, go with the XtremeWhite PIAA bulbs (not the blue tint ones).

I recommend the Philip Nightguide. Love those bulbs.

A blue coating over the entire bulb GREATLY reduces the lumens of the light, which is why you're looking for an "upgrade" over the silverstars, if you want the TRUE silverstar, get the Osram silverstar, not the Sylvania silverstar.

HIDs in none-HID housings are just retarded, dangerous, and makes you a huge dick that deserves the fines presented to you by the wonderful officers of the law.