welding the front diff

shoesandsocks

On a drift car you have a welded diff on the rear- allowing you to power out of the slides but hopefully on cheap bald tires and a greasy skid pad so there's some give. In normal driving though on high traction surfaces you must hear the tires squeal especially when turning? And in rain and icy conditions that's gotta be a white-knucke-fun ride! :) Though since you already have experience with a (at least with the rear axle) welded diff you understand the risks and if you want to try it out on the Pathy with a spare diff go for it! :)

thanks i will and yeah the sc doesnt see the water anymore its a big car and u turns in the wet is a hard target. and the week it didnt have power sterring i thought i was gonna die

WELD IT!!!! Last time I checked, this was Nissan Pathfinder OFF ROAD Association. Offroading is for those who love adventure, and whats more adventurous then diving head first into the unknown? And the feeling you get knowing you did something someone else has? Sweeeet! Not to mention all the guys following this thread will feel better about trying it after you giver a go! DO IT!!!

Thats all the motivation i need to make this happen gotta find a spare diff first and then ill get it done.

just remember how NOT to weld it together :lol:

Welded-Differential.jpg

may god have mercy on our souls lol

I've got one here... but, I'm a little far. I shipped both front and rear to PAMountainbiker a while back. But I don't remember what it cost as far as shipping goes. Probably not worth it though. You'll be able to find one in a wrecker near you. Being that there isn't much problem with rust in your area (you lucky F@cker) there should be a few that haven't been crushed

okay so over the weekend we actually got to try this although not on my pathfinder we were able to do this on my buddies frontier we were really bored at drill and i was talking to him and he was down so we took it up in the air got the diff out welded it and got it back in about a period of 4 hours. He just got manual hubs so i thought it would be best to test on his first.

So since i have driven his truck many times i have that it feels alot smoother upon accel with the hubs unlocked but other than that driving around made no difference

with the hubs locked u could definitely feel it weighed the truck down a lil bit but not by that much however making a u turn was increased to about two lanes to about three

now for the fun part we took it up to our offroad training course where we train in the Humvee we use around base now we took a Humvee my pathy and the frontier and placed them on a decent step grade we all play on(again really bored at work) the Humvee obviously didn't even hesitate and went straight up i got about 3/4 way through which is what i always get before i saw the usual spray of my front tires kicking dirt and digging in. now i always get farther than the frontier we usually equate that to me having a better tire. versus his standard radial.

well the frontier got in and with both front wheels moving as one had no slip up the hill and had enough traction to pull it through i was pissed but i was happy he was stoked decided to play in the muddy portions and man that thing was under steer champion but i guess thats the trade off so thats my brief synopsis on the welded front diff not sold on the idea but glad i got to use it.

• Like 1

Cool that it outperformed a humvee! :D Better tires might take care of the understeer.

i have personally never heard of a front drifferential being welded to cause suspension failure can u elaborate on that a lil better i know on from personal experience as i stare at my drift car with a welded i hae never noticed any excesss suspension wear?

IIRC Mr. 510 blew out his his strut rod bushings with a front LSD in a WD21. Maybe the R50 front end is better suited to handle the force, or maybe Mr. 510's bushings were about shot already and wheeling with LSD just finished them off.

damn i feel bad now i didnt think there would be request for pics do u guys wanna see the actual did cause i probley wont open it up unless it breaks but if u want some of the frontier i guess i can but its bone stock for now except for the hubs.

that shouldn't be to hard we get to do quite a bit when were bored at work i could probably take some pics if i get the pathy back on the training course but im usually having too much fun on the bigger stuff

215034_240206962679207_5713152_n.jpg

Edited by shoesandsocks

Holy 3WD batman!

Makes me think you'd have to be careful with the torque you supply to the single CV...maybe if you keep that in mind as you run I guess. Any ways, just thought I'd throw my $0.02 and it'd be interesting to hear how this goes if you decide to proceed with this mod.

You will see the same thing with both locked on the trail.

Consider this;

When one wheel is burried in low range that's allot of torqe to one shaft. with an lsd or an open that torque will cross over to the other side before you can grenade the CV. No such luck if you are welded or spooled.